Chiller Problem/ Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hawaii50

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I have a chiller that is rated for 100min to 400max GPH flow rate thru it. I have a Mag Drive 5 pump that is pushing the water thru the chiller. At a 4ft head it says 310gph. I used 3/4 in PVC for the intake and return. I have a total of 4 90degree elbows on the PVC, 2 on each piece to get over the wall of the aquarium. The rest of the line is 3/4 inch flexable tubing. My problem is the chiller is not cooling. I have returned the original one which worked for about three months, and gotten a replacement and the same thing happens. The chiller unit is rated for a max of 100gal tank I have a 55gal. My question is do I have to much or to little flow? Is there a way to find out exactly what my flow is? I know this might be a hard one to answer but I need some help I am really starting to get fustrated. Thanks everyone.

you can get a rough handle on your flow by taking the outlet and routing it to a bucket of known capacity - time how long it takes to fill the bucket, and from that compute your GPH

as for your chiller not working, we need more details on the model, how many horsepower, etc... althought it says up to 100 gallon tank, if your thermal load is high enough, it might outstrip the chillers abilities.

The chiller is a ViaAqua CC25. 1/4HP
Features -

* TITANIUM HEAT EXCHANGER for maximum salt water corrosion protection
* Only unit on the market currently which utilizes super high efficient UL/CE rotary compressor
* Quieter than 9 out of 10 chillers on the market
* Good for up to 100 gallon tank and 10 degree pulldown
* Digital Temperature control
* LCD displays water temperature
* Controller turns unit on when temperature rises 1.5 degree
* R134a Refrigerant
* Recommended 100-400GPH flow
* Dimensions 14.4"x12"x10.2"
* 3/4 Inlet/Outlet
* 3/4" Tubing included!
* 120V 60Hz operation
* 1 year manufacturer warranty

Any ideas? Not enough flow to much flow? I have a ball valve on both input and out put so I closed one helf way to let the water sit a little longer and that dident help either.

You know...I have that same problem. But, when my chiller goes on, it bumps my temp up another degree before it starts to cool it. I have mine in a 55gal. I have the exact same chiller as you. I'm wondering if that's not a good chiller. So...I am interested in any advice also

Ya I think I got jipped. This one isnt even blowing out warm air out of the back like it is supost to when working properly. Hmmm now to see how to get money back.

I would guess too much flow ... the water needs a long contact time in order to transfer energy from itself to the chiller.

leave the ball valve feeding the chiller full open and try closing off the output about 1/2 way.

is the water dumping back into your sump, or directly into the tank?

does it feel at all cooler coming out? ... can you get one of those glass tube thermometers near the output, does it read any different?

I am not familiar with your chiller, but I have a 1/3 HP custom sea life. This thing is a beast and puts out A LOT of heat when it turns on. If you keep it under the tank in the stand it can actually raise the water temp by the heat it is giving off. It needs to be in a well ventilated area.

I agree with Bizzy there. I had my chiller under my stand and had to move it because it just got too hot. Make sure you have at least 1ft in either direction free for it to work right. Also it will need some "fresh" air to help it work properly. Meaning if your stand doesn't have good air flow. I would move it outside of the stand. As far as the flow thru the chiller, if it is too high of a flow; that just means the chiller is not as efficient. It will run longer to get the water to the correct temp.

i have a customsealife 1/4 hp drop in chiller. it just has a metal coil that you put in the sump. i have a 72 gallon tank with 440 watts of vho, with a heavy canopy, in front of a window and my tank stays nice and cool. i also love the simple design. the only thing is, you have to make sure you cover as much of the coil as possible in the water or you lose alot of the cooling power. on the down side, :( it was very expensive.

i have a customsealife 1/4 hp drop in chiller. it just has a metal coil that you put in the sump. i have a 72 gallon tank with 440 watts of vho, with a heavy canopy, in front of a window and my tank stays nice and cool. i also love the simple design. the only thing is, you have to make sure you cover as much of the coil as possible in the water or you lose alot of the cooling power. on the down side, :( it was very expensive.

Back
Top Bottom