Chip in cube -- PLEASE help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Munchie

Aquarium Advice Activist
After 3 months of work, building a stand, a custom AIO, lighting etc.. The day comes to set up my mr aqua 25 gallon rimless and I notice a chip in the rear bottom

image-3504327514.jpg

It is technically on the side pain of glass. Upon closer inspection it isn't on the seam that is siliconed. But the actual edge, I put a bit of aquarium silicone on it in hopes that it would help if it did leak..

Point is, with a chip in the corner..would you trust this? I am a bit torn..

I have had it set up and running outside for over a week filled with water.. No leaks. Now that I am bringing it inside and I noticed it I am a bit nervous.

I have a pretty large chip in the edge, behind the silicone on my 125g. I ewater tested it for a week and it went well so I let it ride. That was over 3 years ago lol. It just depends on how deep the crack is. I filled mine with windshield epoxy and it leveled off pretty well. Do you have a better picture?

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you think I can just put the epoxy over the aquarium silicone I just put on?

That's the best pic I could get on my iPhone, I will try to borrow a good camera to snap a photo tomorrow.

Again it didn't leak after 2 weeks but since it is a rimless tank that will have 25-30lbs of live rock and water I want to cautious.

Will let you know how it goes with the epoxy

Good luck. Keep an eye on it thats for sure. My first biocube was fine for a water check but when I added the rock and sand it started leaking like a sieve. The extra weight and volume must have caused whatever crack to expand and let loose. Maybe keep it in a water safe place until you are sure?

Will do. I had sand and about 8lbs of rock in it during the test and nothing..

Letting the silicone dry overnight and will be grabbing epoxy tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Not sure if the epoxy would work over silicone.. Maybe just wait it out to see if the silicone holds. The epoxy is made to cure to glass itself not silicone. If it's not leaking now at all with the chip you have, theoretically it should be fine

Back
Top Bottom