choosing Heater and Powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GOBY

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 tall aquarium and was wondering which would be the best powerhead a maxijet 600 or maxijet 900 I am going to have some live rock and eventually an anemone I was just wondering if the 900 would be too much current.
Also I was wondering if I should go with the Ebo-Jager 100 watt or the
125 watt.

I would go with the MJ 900, I do not believe you will be able to provide too much water flow. If the velocity is too high, you can diffuse it with very little loss in flow. As for the heater, I would use a 150W heater on a 29g, or better yet 2 X 75W. As a rule, if there is a possibility of a cold winter (like up there in the north) I recommend 5W per gallon, in warmer climates (like here in sunny FL 8) ) I recommend approx 3W per gallon. 2 undersized heaters builds in a fudge factor, you know Murphy and his laws....If one get's stuck in the on position, it is not powerful enough to boil the tank, if one fails, the other will still run to provide some heat....

i agree whole heartedly. My uncle lost alot of his livestock by having one powerful heater rather than two smaller ones.

I agree with Kevin as well. When I had my 20 gal up and running I used a MJ900 in it. I wouldn't think that you would have any problem with two much current. HTH

OK. So what brand of heater is recommended?

Given the 3W/ Gal rule. What would you suggest for a 72G: (2) 100W or (2) 150W?

heaters

I have had good luck with the Rena Cal Top Light heaters. We have used the Visi Therm heaters at the store also and they seem to hold up well. You probably already know this, but I have to say it just to make me feel better. NEVER trust the temp calibration on the heater...always use a good thermometer to check the settings. I have found many of them to be off by as much as 7-8 degrees. I think I'd go with two 150w heaters for the 72 gal. That will yield about 4.2 wpg as opposed to the 2.8 wpg from the two 100w heaters. JMHO :)
Logan J

Goby - Since you're in Georgia I would suggest a pair of 50 Watt Ebo-Jäger heaters. I agree also with the MJ900.

Back
Top Bottom