Clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have 4 niaritha snails, 3 that idk what they are then I have 3 blue leg crabs 2 hermits and one emerald crab

30 gallons. I also had turbo snails and they both died.

I don't like turbos because they are unable to right themselves which makes them easy pickins for the crabs. I really like astrea snails (I've got one that's as big as a turbo), ceriths are good, Nassarius are good at turning up the sand bed, I like to have a lot of blue leg hermits, there great at cleaning detritus and rock work, and I've also got several emeralds. There are a lot of options out there just make sure and do your homework, if your running a reef make sure they are coral friendly.

You don't need a cleanup crew. You need to remove the nutrients(nitrates AND phosphates) that are causing the algae to grow in the first place. CUC just recycles the nutrients. They don't fix the issue but rather add to it.

Cut back on feeding, increase water changes, use additional chemical/mechanical filtration as needed.

If you still want a CUC pick things that you find interesting to look at.

I have typical common snails found at any LFS along with a couple hermits. Personally not a huge fan of hermits as they can knock stuff over and climb on coral. I also have a couple near snails, one is a strawberry turban snail, the other is an abalone. You can also get conch which are neat. I also have nassarius snails for my sand bed and they are cool, like little submarines popping up as soon as good hits the water.

Back
Top Bottom