Clean up crew??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hookman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My buddy and I have set up a 30 gallon with live rock and live sand. About a week ago we added two damsels and some hermit crabs, which are really cool to watch. He said that it seems like some kind of algae(brownish maybe) is growing on the sand. We can't find any clean up crews at the LFS. I live about 45mins from that fish place, I don't know if they have them though, so I was wondering if anyone knew of a place to get them. Thanks!

How long has the tank been set up?
What are the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, temp)?
How much flow do you have in the tank?
What kind of hermits and how many do you have?
Have you done a search on this site using "cleanup crew" as a keyword?
I'm not trying to get out of answering your question, but you may find some good info that way. You might be able to get the LFS to order your crew once you decide what you want. Shipping is pretty high on live critters and it may not pay you to order online for a small order. Your algae (guessing) sounds like diatoms. Can you post a pic?

I'm not sure what the water parameters are. The tank was running two weeks with live sand and live rock, then one week with the fish and crabs. We don't know what kind of hermits they are, all the LFS said was they are hermit crabs. We have five of them, there small though. I saw the algae last night, it looked like a light brown film on parts of the sand and shells. I don't know how to post a pic, I'm computer illiterate. The pH has been fine, the water temp may have risen a little because of the hot weather lately. I appreciate the help!

Back
Top Bottom