Clean up crew suggestions for a 30g FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!

I was planning to have the following clean up crew in my tank :

20 Trochus Snails
15 Red Legged Hermits.
2 Nasarius in my DSB Refugium (5g)

1st, Trochus snails didn't seem to be available at my LFS, and 2nd, maybe i'd like to mix snails that eat different sort of algae.

They have Astrea, Cerith, Turbo and Nasarius snails for sure at my store.

What mix would you do? I'd like to keep the 15 red legged hermits.

Thanks you!

The turbos will knock stuff over, they are bulldozers. But otherwise it sounds fine. i woudl anti up and add some nassarius snails too, they don't eat algae but live under your sand bed aerating it and eating uneaten food. :)

ok....i think i'll skip the turbos. I don't have a DSB in the main tank, but have one in the refugium (in sump, 5g 4 inches deep) I was planning to put 2 nasarius down there along with pods.

You should add macro algae and a light if you can as well, if you haven't already. :)

And some lvie rock for those pods to live in would work too. Not sure how much room you have in your sump. lol

Yes I bought last week a softball sized chaeto, and I installed a 60w daylight 6500k bulb. And I put about 5lbs of base rock in there.

Yes :) And my readings are still 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 10ppm Nitrates, so I think everything's set up for my clowns Friday. I'm really happy! I'll start adding the clean up crew in two weeks. I only have little beige algae on the glass so there's no hurry. I'm now setting up a quarantine tank for future fish. I have a 10g with a heater and an old aquaclear 50 HOB filter.

Perfect! qt'ing isnt fun but is kinda necessary in my opinion. Make sure you post the photos of your new arrivals!

Yes of course! I'll take pics of Marlin and Coral this weekends. My little girls are counting the days :) They can't wait any longer. Our dog died last week, so it's a good thing my cycle went that fast, the house is empty without animals.

Oh, so sorry to hear about the dog, thats really rough, specially on kids...

Hopefully the new fish will help them get over it. :)

LOL Already picked out names? Thats too funny

Well they're fans of Finding Nemo, and that's Nemo's mom and dad's name :) I never really gave names to my fish, I had a lonesome Tilapia Buttikoferi for 5 years. And his name was ''Le poisson'' (the fish in French). But my big girl already gave them names to the perculas so i'll stick with it:)

Don't need a DSB for nassarius. in fact, if the bed is only between 1"-2", they keep it sparkly white. One of mine is a little annoying though, as it always pops up from under my Fungiid and makes him retract a bit at the ends.

Back
Top Bottom