Clean up crews

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joshpwolf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, I was wondering what kind of cuc should I be looking to get for a 75gal fowlr tank. Right now I have one snail not sure what kind it came with the setup I bought from cl. I have about 100lbs of rock and 50 lbs of pfs (just added yesterday).

Thanks
Josh

id get a pair of emerald crabs and some nassarus snails

Get whatever you like to look at. Whatever you purchase, make sure you have enough food to sustain it.
You don't need to purchase anything.

Get whatever you like to look at. Whatever you purchase, make sure you have enough food to sustain it.
You don't need to purchase anything.

Took the words right out of my mouth lol

What do you LIKE? If you like snails get some, same with hermits or crabs. Clean up crew is not a necessity, it's just like fish, get what you like and is compatible. :)

I thought you needed something that goes through the sand preventing any gas pockets building up. I can be very wrong im new to this. What do the crabs eat? I have noticed the snail I have cleans the rocks but it seems like it would take a very long time to get through all the rock. I guess the rock I got from my cl buy was not the cleanest.

Nassarius snails can do the sand sifting and they eat uneaten food, not algae. i happen to like how they emerge from the sand the second food is put into the tank, it's impressive to see like 50 of them just rise up to eat. I don't think any CUC is really needed if proper tank maintenance is done, weekly water changers, not over stocking or over feeding....

You can blow off the crap on the rocks, try a turkey baster that will get the gunk into the water column and it can be filtered out. I have found hermits to not be as great as people say, I only have a handful here and there amongst all my tanks and they never seem to be doing much. Then again, I really don't have any algae in my tanks, my 20g had a massive amount but a lawnmower blenny and a turbo snail cleaned it up in a week. lol

mr_X said:
How deep is your sand bed? If it's 2" or less you aren't going to have gas pockets building up.

It ranges from 1in to 2in depending which area if tank. Mostly about 1.5in.

I like the look if the coraline on the rock does the rock have to be clean for this to start developing?

Coralline has to be introduced. If you don't have any in the tank, you never will. Yes, the rock will need to be cleaned off in order for it to attach and spread, but as carey said, you can do this with a turkey baster or power head just before a water change.

Back
Top Bottom