Clean up/Sand sifting crew Opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Cakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all: Wanted to get some opinions on the clenaing crew I am planning to assemble. 55gal FOWLR (details in profile)

25 Nasarius Snails
10 Margarita snails
15 Trochus Snails
1 (maybe 2) White Sand Star
Shrimp (haven't decided yet)
2 coral banded
2 candy stripe pistol
2 sexy shrimp
4 Bumble Bee shrimp

What do you guys think?

What would you recommend for miing and matching shrimp?

Thanks.

How deep is the sand bed? How old is the tank? No fish in there right now, correct?

Also, what kind of fish you ultimately gonna have? May make a difference in your smaller shrimp choices. Gonna stay fish only?

I know. Many questions, but it'd be hard to recommend a crew without knowing a bit more. I think you may have targeted too much in there for first wave. And I agree, sandsifters don't last too long in a new tank. The nassarius will de a great job on the sand.

No fish in there now. Still cycling almost done (hoepfully).

Sand bed is b/w 3" and 4" with sand on top of CC. I set up the bed before I saw this website, so I might suck it up and change out the substrate slowly (1/3 at a time) and go straight sand, but I am undecided on that right now. (Opinions?)

Haven't decided on the type of fish yet, I am planning on a FOWLR at this point and converting to a reef slowly as I upgrade from PC to MH lighting, better protein skimming, more of the base/reef rock "comes to life," etc. But of course, will have the requisite pair of clown fish for a SW tank.

So initially, it sounds like I should cut out the Stars definitely and the snail crew would be okay. Would like the shrimp to keep the bits of food from the crevices and cracks, and to clean up any bristle worms that might be around.

For the first wave, I would like help keeping control of an algae (cyano?) outbreak I had during the NO3 spike (too much lighting) and have some pets keep bits of food and other stuff from collecting.

Thanks for the help.

Any and ALL advice is appreciated. Can't pick everything up from books.

so I might suck it up and change out the substrate

I used a plastic strainer to separate the CC and sand....worked pretty well.

these dudes sometimes eat cyano:
Top Crown Snail http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1751
Banded Trochus Snail
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=564
my urchins eat it too, well at least the pencil urchin.
I don't think they will be able to eat all the cyano, but hopefully, they can keep it under control.....(that is what I am hoping...LOL)!!!

Here are some "minig" folks:
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=1852

My only problem is that there are too many different types of shrimp in that list. The CBS are nototorius for being ruthless. I would maybe whittle down some of those.

Back
Top Bottom