Cleaning the Quarantine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm just about ready to transfer the two clowns out of quarantine and into the DT. I'm wondering how people clean out their QT's? I've read putting in some bleach or vinegar then after a day or so putting in a declorinator. I've also read to just empty it and let it sit dry for a couple of days. Just wondering what to do before the next purchase goes into QT. Thanks...

Steve

If there was no treatment necessary then I just let it sit dry for the month between, though a chlorine bath won's hurt it. I do rinse it out with tap water and do a final polish with RODI water.

If you let the tank air dry then you really dont need the dechlorinator but if it makes you more secure then go ahead. I just add a few capfuls into a bucket of water.

Just thought about something. We don't like to use copper in the DT even if it was an old tank because it can get into the seals/caulking and leech out later. What about bleach or vinegar? Doesn't that get into the seals? I know these methods are used to clean but I'm just curious. And if no treatment was used is it ok to just use a cupful of vinegar instead of bleach. Will that kill any "critters" that have stayed behind? Thanks...

Steve

Vinegar usually does kill bacteria. You can make a vinegar/water solution and spray it on all the sides of the tank. Then rinse.

If you used a heavy medication (e.g., meth blue) that stains the seals then use bleach. Shouldn't harm the seals if you keep an eye on it and only soak for 20 mins. I know you can't leave the plastic plants in it for too long or they disintegrate.

Back
Top Bottom