Cloudiness in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

billy302

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all!! I'm brand new at this. I have a 55 reef that i am attempting to start and the water is just a little cloudy. I'm running a protein skimmer and a fluval canister filter with 6 stages. Is there anything that I can put in one of the stages of the filter to remove the tiny particles and give me crystal clear water???? Please help! Thanks, Bill.

Please provide more info about your setup. Is this a brand new tank? Just filled it with water? If so whats your substrate. if its sand then yes its going to be cloudy for a few days (4-5). This is because the sand has some very fine particles nearly as fine as dust that need to settle out. If you put some filter floss in your canister filter you should screen out alot of this in short order. Once your substrate develops some bactera it will hold together better and wont get disturbed at the slighest current.

If your cycling the tank and you dont have a sand substrate then the cloudyness could be a bactera bloom although I would have to say I usually see these in FW setups rather than SW setups.

Back
Top Bottom