Cloudy eye???? any one heard of it????!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

two11devan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and just plain new to the hobby! I have my tank info below and just introduced 3 fish to my tank the other day. I introduced 2 percula clowns and 1 yellow tang. The morning after i introduced them, i noticed my tang had a cloudy/slightly opaic color over one of its eyes. Its spending alot of time hiding in its cove and swims erraticly evry once in a while. Does anyone know what this is and if it will get better on its own or if it needs to be medicated?
Oh yea...i think i know what caused it. I screwed up and i think my salinaty was way too low. I think it was at like 1.016....i got it back up to 1.021. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many things can cause cloudy eye, bacterial infections and being hurt during the netting process. How fast did you raise the salinity? Raising it quickly could cause alot of harm due to the stress it induces. IMO 1.021 is still a bit low.

Ummm, i raised it over about 10-15 min, probably too fast. My clowns seem to be doing fine, but the tang spends most of the time in a cove. I catch him out sometimes when i return to my room, but as soon as he sees someone, he goes back into hiding.....will this go away without treatment? I was told copper might help.....what do you think is a good salinity??? 1.023??

According to your profile you have a 30g tank. IMO, that tank is too small for a yellow tang, tangs are strong swimming fish that require 48" of tank length. I also think you added too many fish to a brand new aquarium. What are your water parameters?
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
PH?
Temp?
What do you use for filtration?
How did you acclimate the fish?

I think the tang is very stressed and is showing the first signs of parasitic infestation, this would indicate the use of copper for treatment, but you have LR and LS in the tank. The copper will effectively kill the life on the rock and in the sand. All the fish should be removed to a quarantine/hospital tank and treated with either copper (at a level of .15-.20ppm for 3 weeks) or hyposalinity, leaving the main tank fishless for 4-6 weeks.

All of my water tests came back negative, or I should say normal......i am using a cpr bac back skimmer and i also have a fluval canister filter. the temp is at 80 and i acclimated the fish by floating them for about a 20 min or so and netting them into the new tank...I tested the water before i added the fish also and it was all normal... What are any signs i should be looking for on the clowns...they seem to be healthy at this point.

yes, that salinity change should have been over days, not minutes. your acclimating procedure needs a few extra steps, such as adding small amounts of your tank water over a long period of time to the bags.

When I wanted to increase my SG from 1.022 to 1.025, I did it over a period of 3 weeks by doing partial water changes. The new water I added to the tank had a slightly higher salinity than that of the tank. Good things happen slowly in this hobby.

Back
Top Bottom