cloudy water cleared up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
i love this hobby started out with a fw almost 3 months ago thats doing real well so i desided to go to start out a sw aquarium heres what i have 40 gallon tank hob whisper 60 filter 2 ph 200 watt heater 50 lbs of cured figi and corraline live rock 37 lbs of fiji pink sand its been setup for maybe 15 hours when i first started out the water was unbearable but its almost clear now is it because of the live rock that made it clear up so fast because ive been reading it usually takes days and also would it take super long to start the cycle with just the live rock or should i add shrimp from the supermarket like ive been reading and and last am i supposed to wait a while to add a protein skimmer?

omg heh i just got scared s%$@less i was watchin my tank and somethin from under one of the rocks made the rock move over lol i jumped could be it a coral making the rock move? maybe a crab

I would add a shrimp. I started my 110gal with 160lbs of lr only (100lbs of it was cured - 50 was base rock). It started a really weak cycle that ended in 10 days. I added a couple shrimp to try and get a stronger cycle and only then did my ammo, trates, and trites really move. Probably healthier for the tank in the long run if you force a stronger cycle to get some bacteria going in order to handle a bigger bio-load.

You'll get mixed opinions about running a protein skimmer during a cycle. I've had mine off during my cycle.

- Skins

if i want Anemones or corals i know im gonna need stronger lighting what i have now is a stock hood with 1x 20watt bulb its the exact 1 at the link below what are my lighting options going by the measurements listed could i get a hood that will fit in its place with some nice lights in it or will i have to get one that goes over the top? http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...+Lighting&ct2=Fluorescent+Light+Fixtures&ct3=

im gonna try to get some pictures up of what was making my rock like move a little i beleive its a clam of some sort its under my rock and it opens and closes

First off...please use some punctuations (you know, periods and comas) in your posts. They are very hard to read. I would add the shrimp as well to kick off your cycle. My guess its you have a crab making your rocks move. Pretty cool. As far as lighting goes, I would suggest a Coralife CF fixture. They come with legs some they can easily be mounted above the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom