clown fish vs green chromis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I'll be geting my first fish next week and I can't decide between 2 clown fish or 3 green chromis I don't want any aggressive fish if one of them are? And are they both hardy?

How big is your tank? 2 clownfish (if you are referring to Ocellaris) would do fine in anything 20 gallons and bigger but I would personally not do just 3 green chromis maybe like 5 lol.

I have a 72 gallon And i was told that chormis do better in 3

Ok then that would be fine but I have never heard of chromis in trios but who may I ask told you this? They could be right I'm just used to hearing them liking to be in groups of 5 or more :)

Both fish are generally a hardy fish, and easy to keep. The chromis are schooling fish so odd number multiples are good - 3 or 5, but not 4.

Chromis are fun to watch as they all swim in a pack and when spooked, will are dart away, and then (5) seconds later they join back up and swim together again.

Clown fish are just like the name... clowns - they will have great personalities, recognition, swimming upside down, etc. Fun to watch and interactive.

Both should do great in a 72 - Also, there are several types of clowns so be sure to research thouroughly on the temperments - there are some that are more aggressive, ie Maroon clowns.

Both fish are generally a hardy fish, and easy to keep. The chromis are schooling fish so odd number multiples are good - 3 or 5, but not 4.

Chromis are fun to watch as they all swim in a pack and when spooked, will are dart away, and then (5) seconds later they join back up and swim together again.

Clown fish are just like the name... clowns - they will have great personalities, recognition, swimming upside down, etc. Fun to watch and interactive.

Both should do great in a 72 - Also, there are several types of clowns so be sure to research thouroughly on the temperments - there are some that are more aggressive, ie Maroon clowns.

Well put. What kind of tank is it?

Lcars said:
Ok then that would be fine but I have never heard of chromis in trios but who may I ask told you this? They could be right I'm just used to hearing them liking to be in groups of 5 or more :)

Lfs told me that and it's going to be reef tank

Well as long as its in a odd amount its usually ok but if possible I would still get more ;D and very cool what kind of other fish are you planning on adding?

I'll probably get the 3 if more I'm on budget unless clownfish go on sale next week my plan was to get
clownfish or green chromis
Yellow or dimond watchmen goby
Foxface or yellow tang
And a blue tang
Not sure what corals yet
Lol I have alot of or

Haha its ok your researching ;) and lets see if this was my tank I would do the diamond watchman goby, and it would probably only be one of those 3 at the end unless you would upgrade eventually but probably the yellow tang because they get the smallest:)

IMO the foxface is the route I would go - they are beautiful fish and don't necessarily require the 6' length tank to swim. Tangs in anything less than a 125 gal are not going to stay happy and healthy very long.

My friend has a blue tang in a 60 gallon tank for 6 years and still going and that tang looks preety healthy and happy but I'll I might get the foxface I just was wondering about the spines

My friend has a blue tang in a 60 gallon tank for 6 years and still going and that tang looks preety healthy and happy but I'll I might get the foxface I just was wondering about the spines
how big is the tang? if after 6 years hes not around a foot hes not so good :(

Yellow tangs and especially blue tangs require a six foot tank to be healthy and stay healthy. They may start out small but they still need the swim room. Tangs stress VERY easily and can get sick if the tank is too small, some may even die of it.

The foxface seems like a better choice.

Just because someone has done something doesnt make it right. I've seen a blue and a yellow tang in a biocube for instance. They weren't dead yet but it didn't make it right.

When in doubt about a fish and it's requirements check out Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums. In fact the recommened size for a blue tang is 180g tank. :)

Go with something else, instead of a green chromis. I had some and they never schooled. Just my opinion though. You can even get another color of chromis.

I'm going to get two tank raised clowns because theres only two green chormis at my lfs not 3 or 5

Back
Top Bottom