Clown making dominance???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

King Supra

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today I bought myself a second sea bay clown. This clown is slightly bigger than my original one and keeps chasing it around my tank while making this weird popping sound with its jaw every time it's close to it. Is it just creating dominance??? Or should I bag it and take it back??? I'm worried that it won't let my little sea bay into my RBTAs!!!

It's also beating it up quite a bit and won't let it near the anemones I'm getting angry at it and it's becoming very rough with one of the anemones to the point the nem has moved to try and get away from it

It's risky adding a larger clown (of the same species) to a tank with only 1 clown. When the first fish was alone, if it was old enough it would have changed into the dominant female. As the new fish was larger, it may also be female. As it appears to be asserting dominance, even if it wasn't already female it will be changing.
They can't change back into males, so that may leave you with 2 females, of which only 1 will survive.
You probably have 2 options

Hope the first fish wasn't already female and things should sort themselves out once dominance has been established.

Return the new larger fish and get one that is smaller. Let your first fish become, or survive, as the dominant female.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The weird thing I noticed last night was that the bigger one let it into the anemones for the night but as soon as the lights came back on she kicked it out should I take it back an get a cinnamon clown???

So I took it back to the LFS and got my money back for it it was really beating up my other clown

Back
Top Bottom