Clown Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_Freak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all...
I'm starting up a SW tank....
I've done a lot of research, and pretty much know what I'm doing...

Stats:
Tank: 30 gallons (36"l x 12"w x 16"h)
Lighting: Compact flourescent- 120w
Filteration:
Powerhead 550
AquaClear500
Lee's Counter Current Protein Skimmer (thoughts on these? )

45 lbs of LR

3 clownfish (2 when I get a pair)
1 Bubbletip anemone

I plan on breeding the clowns,
And I want to know what substrate is best...
Live Sand or Crushed Coral?
I know it's not gonna play a huge role... but just wondering...

And...
I've read that I don't have to feed the anen if I have clowns?
Is this true?

Thanks,
F_F

lmkbubblfsh.gif

to AquariumAdvice.com!!

Stats:
Tank: 30 gallons (36"l x 12"w x 16"h)
Lighting: Compact flourescent- 120w
Filteration:
Powerhead 550
AquaClear500
Lee's Counter Current Protein Skimmer (thoughts on these? )

45 lbs of LR

With the 45 lbs of LR the AC 500 is not necessary and will actually cause nitrate problems down the road, if you use the media. If you already have it...you can use it for waterflow/motion, if you haven't got it yet, I would skip it and buy a couple more powerheads. I like the MaxiJet powerheads. The Lee's is a decent skimmer, but if your planning on an anemone, I would look for something better for your tank, like an AquaC remora or a bakpak 2R.

1 Bubbletip anemone

Anemones are really not recommended for tanks less than a year old, it gives the tank and the aquarist time to stabalize. Anemones are virtually immortal in the wild, yet most tend to diw within a few weeks to a few months in the aquarium, the majority of these deaths are caused by improper collection, transport and shipping and aquarist error. If your looking for the symbiotic relationship of the clown and the anemone...many clowns will take to an alternate host, like a toadstool leather or hairy mushrooms.

I plan on breeding the clowns,
And I want to know what substrate is best...
Live Sand or Crushed Coral?
I know it's not gonna play a huge role... but just wondering...

Crushed coral will trap detritus between the grains, sand is not nearly as prone to this, there are also critters that will live in the sand and help to clean that up that won't live in cc. The end product of the detritus is going to be nitrates, which your clown's host will not appreciate.

And...
I've read that I don't have to feed the anen if I have clowns?
Is this true?

Depends on how good your clowns are at feeding the anemone, most are not good enough to totally abandon feeding the anemone, IMO.

1 Bubbletip anemone

Anemones are really not recommended for tanks less than a year old, it gives the tank and the aquarist time to stabalize. Anemones are virtually immortal in the wild, yet most tend to diw within a few weeks to a few months in the aquarium, the majority of these deaths are caused by improper collection, transport and shipping and aquarist error. If your looking for the symbiotic relationship of the clown and the anemone...many clowns will take to an alternate host, like a toadstool leather or hairy mushrooms.
I knew I had to have the tank set up for that long (I've actually read longer...)... I'm jsut thinking ahead.

I am thinking abou thte other hosts... sounds like they might be easier to keep and more envirmont friendly...
What is their level of difficulty to keep?
prices?
Would the clowns still readily breed?

About the AC500... I do not have it yet... And I will happily spend that money on something else...

What do you reccommend for powerheads... I've been reading a lot of different things about water movement...

And with the Protien skimmer...
I might get a SeaClone Protien Skimmer... they seem pretty good, I'm still tossing the ideas...
Would the toadstool or mushrooms be OK with the Lee's?

Thanks!
F_F

What is their level of difficulty to keep?

Beginner level.

I see toadstool leathers for 30-50 dollars depending on size and species, same is true for hairy mushrooms.

Would the clowns still readily breed?

Yep, provided they are a mated pair and environmental conditions are right. If your wanting to breed and raise clowns, I highly recommend the book, Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson, you can find a link to it on Amazon in our Library.

What do you reccommend for powerheads... I've been reading a lot of different things about water movement...

For a 30g I would go with 3-4 MaxiJet 900 Phs.

Would the toadstool or mushrooms be OK with the Lee's?

More than likely, they are both hardier corals that do well in slightly dirtier water.

And with the Protien skimmer...
I might get a SeaClone Protien Skimmer... they seem pretty good, I'm still tossing the ideas...

To put it bluntly, they are junk. Trust me I had one and threw it in the trash after about 2 months of trying to get it to work. If you can afford an Aqua C ($~160) you should buy one. Hands down one of the best skimmers on the market. It is probably the most prized piece of equipment I own.

:D

I would advise against starting with 3 Clowns. For most Clown Species just getting two small specimens will probably result in a pair. If you're going with Maroon Clowns and you want a pair I would suggest buying a mated pair.

Thanks all...
I plan on percula clowns, I will research more into them... I'll probably get the Lee's PS.
I think I will get Toadstool...
Thanks for all of the help!
F_F

Back
Top Bottom