Clownfish - Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
This is pretty wild. I recently put a green bubble tip in my tank. Already had a few ocillaris clowns that did not appear to be interested in hosting.

I had forgotten to protect the anemone on one of the inflow parts of a UV and it was pulled half way in. I turned off the power and hoped it would be able to remove itself.

Take a look at the movie clip I attached. It appears the clownfish were trying to help the anemone get free. Seems to be successful although there may be some injury to the anemone - hoping it will recover - attached a picture of the freed anemone.

Anyone hear of this happening?

Attachments

• anemoneafter.jpg
    anemoneafter.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 105
Clownfish - Anemone - what the hell!?!?

A crazy day in the tank. It looks like the clown is hosting the anemone. See the attached video.

I also have a mini carpet anenome. The other clown looked like it was trying to host the carpet. The clown then looked like it became paralyzed and the carpet folded up around him. See attached picture. Would a carpet anenome eat a clownfish?

Attachments

• IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 89
Carpet anemone don't host clownfish. They will eat what they have the opportunity to. Symbiotic relationships with anemone varies from different anemone and other creatures that they get benefit from. Thankfully in your case, the clownfish appear to be healthy and most likely won't become lunch for a carpet anemone. Many of us have carpet anemone and there are 0 issues between livestock and the carpets. Though there are many different types of carpets, it is still difficult for the majority that are kept in the hobby for any issues...besides a stray invert falling into one or something of the like. I loose snails this way personally.
When it comes to your very injured anemone, the clownfish are unable to assist it and will only make the issue worse if they are attempting to form a symbiotic relationship. Clowns usually are not very gentle, this can put unwell or under sized anemones into very stressful situations when a clownfish won't get the hint.
The bubble tip anemone is not done for. The foot appears intact and that is a good sign. You will need to try to protect it from your clownfish. Something like a plastic container that strawberries come in...something that won't restrict flow to the anemone but keep things away from it if there isn't an option of moving it to a different system to recover (which is pretty abnormal to have the ability to do).

Back
Top Bottom