Clownfish behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee426

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had 2 clowns in my 14g biocube for quite some time before one died about 3 months ago. The one I have left is very healthy but seems to have gotten aggressive. While I'm doing routine cleaning on my tank he attacks my hand. I want to get him/her a mate but i don't know what to do. I don't want the one I have to kill it. What do y'all recommend. I've heard to buy it smaller so it can be the dominant one but I'm not sure if they'll fight. Let me know please.

Thank you,
Lee

That's really too small of a tank for a pair of clowns. I would keep it at the 1 and leave it at that.

What other species of fish would you recommend for that size of tank?

That's really too small of a tank for a pair of clowns. I would keep it at the 1 and leave it at that.

I agree here as well. In other news, I've read more than a few times clowns can become quite territorial and somewhat aggressive. Especially when it comes to sticking your hands in the water around their "turf".

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

clowns in a 14g is a very tight fit I know I would be claustrophobic myself,
most say aggression starts with a small tank in a way I do agree ,
but in other ways I disagree , as I have my clowns in a 90g and they love to nip just as much , so in reality its more a luck of the draw if they do or not ,
no 2 fish are exactly alike as are people we all have our own personality along with demeanor ,
some fish are classified as aggressive in most cases this is true , but I've seen the same type of fish as gentle and non aggressive as you could ever imagine
If we don't try new things we never know if things can happen

clowns in a 14g is a very tight fit I know I would be claustrophobic myself,
most say aggression starts with a small tank in a way I do agree ,
but in other ways I disagree , as I have my clowns in a 90g and they love to nip just as much , so in reality its more a luck of the draw if they do or not ,
no 2 fish are exactly alike as are people we all have our own personality along with demeanor ,
some fish are classified as aggressive in most cases this is true , but I've seen the same type of fish as gentle and non aggressive as you could ever imagine
If we don't try new things we never know if things can happen

Clowns in too small of a tank has been tried to death by people and largely it ends the exact same way. Clowns are bullies, but in a larger tank such as the 90g you and I have there is space for the male clown to get away from the female. This is absolutely the exact opposite in a tank the size of a 14g.

Same exact thing happened up me. Female killed the male in my 14 biocube. Tried to get a new one but it only lasted about a month or so. In the past my clown got along with 4 lined wrasses and pseudos.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

dont add more fish. 1 clown thats your bioload. look into some inverts, more importantly why did the first clown die?

It looked to me like it got the itch. Under the moonlight some scales looked white or coming off. Then it wasn't eating as much and one day he died.

if it has ich then all fish should be quarantined and treated with hypo or copper separate from the main tank for 6-8 weeks. Introducing any more fish into an already ich infested aquarium would be a death sentence.

I took out the dead fish and haven't done any of that and it's been well over 2 months. Clownfish that remains looks very healthy and happy. So does my skunk cleaner shrimp which seems to be molting about twice a month. And I cannot confirm it was ich because I've never witnessed it. But from what I have read I believe it may have been that. Idk what else it could've been or why it died.

I'm not sure what it was. I know that under the moonlight some scales seemed flaky or white. It looked different.

Back
Top Bottom