Clownfish Behavior?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Milesman222

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my female clown has been violently shaking and picking at the side of my heater at the top of the tank right under the water surface. I’ve done a little research so I think it might be breeding behavior, but my male isn’t helping pick at the heater or shaking with the other clown. My thoughts was maybe the male is too young? My original male clown died so I have had this new one for a few months now and I think they have paired up, it’s just odd that the female is shaking and picking at the heater.

So my female clown has been violently shaking and picking at the side of my heater at the top of the tank right under the water surface. I’ve done a little research so I think it might be breeding behavior, but my male isn’t helping pick at the heater or shaking with the other clown. My thoughts was maybe the male is too young? My original male clown died so I have had this new one for a few months now and I think they have paired up, it’s just odd that the female is shaking and picking at the heater.
The shaking behavior can be for a number of reasons including mating behavior, or even irritation from a parasite. It could even be a simple as just a habitual behavior she's picked up. As far as har picking at the heater, there may be a slime coating of protozoa that she is eating or even feeding to the anemone if you have one. If you do have an anemone, and most of her shaking is done in and around it, she may be stimulating it to feed.

does the new male ever hang around the female . the dance you mention could be a mating dance , she may be trying to attract the males attention . early spring is usually when they mate and lay eggs . same for the fall

some clowns are in-separable my clowns are like that not more than 2 inch apart at all times. kind of fun watching how they do everything together . I think if something ever happen to one the other would be lost.

it sounds like the female wants to mate but the new male wants nothing to do with her.
it's not uncommon for this.it's never a sure thing that they will connect . she may still lay eggs but they may not be fertile. she may also tend to them in the same manor.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom