[color=#a30000]powder blue tang wont eat[/color]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpeedRacerXX1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
just purchased a powder blue tang the fish ate in the fish store very good place purchased all my fish and corals there. he acclimated very well along with the lawnmower blemmy, but now the fishes stomach is shrunk to where its sunkin in to no end tried lettuce, spinach, calurpa or how ever you spell it, but to no avail he just wont eat. when i put him in he would pick on the rocks and stuff like that, also tried brine shrimp, mysis, but he wont eat now. any help would be great to make this wonderful addition in my tank last longer than a week. thanks in advance

try some dried seaweed from the lfs or if you live in a locatoin that has a decent asian market or section of your grocery store get some dried nori.

I feed my PBT an almost exclusive diet of dried nori.

Tangs over all are grazers. They should have food in the tank available for them to eat thru out the day or atleast for an extended period of time like several hours.

I am supprised it did not go after the brine shrimp as mine will do this aswell but it should not be the bulk of its diet.

What other fish are in the tank. How big is the tank? How big is the PBT?

It could be that the tang is stressed to a point it does not want to eat what is being offered.

came back from store was in real bad shape breathing real heavy very lethargic, wound up dieing a little later nothing i could do. feel real bad water chem is fine people say they are very hard to acclimate and dont do well in captivity, so i'l just try again some months later i guess.
thanks for tyring to help, just wasnt strong enough to make it had it for 3 days.

Could you answer the questions on tank size and what other inhabatants where in the tank with the PBT.

other fish in tank are 6 chromis, 1bangaii cardinal, 1 gold stripe maroon clown, 1 mandarin, 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 lawnmower blemmy.
tank is 180 with like 250-300 lbs of live rock.
he was like 3-6" i guess. i went to lfs to purchase nori and various other stuff but when got home 1-2 hours later he wasnt swimming just laying around the bottom of the substrate having a difficult time staying upright.

other fish in tank are 6 chromis, 1bangaii cardinal, 1 gold stripe maroon clown, 1 mandarin, 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 lawnmower blemmy.
tank is 180 with like 250-300 lbs of live rock.
he was like 3-6" i guess. i went to lfs to purchase nori and various other stuff but when got home 1-2 hours later he wasnt swimming just laying around the bottom of the substrate having a difficult time staying upright.

sorry about your tang- thier supposed to be really hard- maybe next time before you get the fish you could try growing caulerpa on some of your LR. tangs are natrually herbivoures- maybe your next tang will like that and until you run out of caulerpa you can try to wean it onto some frozen food.

Good luck
echo

Back
Top Bottom