Colorful soft corals???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishDaAx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys. So I am a freshwater guys who has graduated to my first saltwater tank today! I have a nano 14g with 20lbs of live sand, about 12lbs of Fiji live cured rock(looking to had a few more pounds of rock), and a 1" clownfish... anyway I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on soft corals, polyps, and/or mushrooms that would make a colorful addition to my tank.

And yes I am going to cycle before adding anything else to the tank.

Chili coral, carnation coral (I think that's what they are called) What kind of lighting do you have?

I would stay away from the chili and carnation coral if you are just starting out with salt, as they are non-photosynthetic. While they are stunning corals, they require a considerable amount of food which will lead to water quality issues rather quickly.

If this is your first salt tank, I would look into zoanthids and mushrooms. There are some amazing tanks out there , about the same size as yours, that have a variety of color morphs of zoas and and mushrooms of different varieties. I have to say that Ricordea Florida are one of my favorites, and pretty easy to care for.

I would stay away from the chili and carnation coral if you are just starting out with salt, as they are non-photosynthetic. While they are stunning corals, they require a considerable amount of food which will lead to water quality issues rather quickly.

Sorry, I wasn't considering the experience level. But that is totally true about these corals. They do require a lot more work than others.

Zoanthids, palythoas and mushrooms do come in wide variety of color morphs and are easier and forgiving than most I would say since I keep a lot of them myself.

This is a really bad picture of a couple of my favorites.

image-3005343978.jpg

The one up front is a green finger leather, it's pictures never show the green very well. The small one in the back is a green polyp toadstool. It's not too big yet but they get really cool.

http://www.aquacon.com/softcoral.html
This link has some good pictures.

Ok guys thanks for the suggestions! Ill look into these. And my lighting is temporary 13watt PC lighting. But I will be upgrading to a EVO Quad clip LED light fixture. It's 60watt led (that too much for a 14g soft coral build?)

Back
Top Bottom