comments for reefgeek.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justDIY

Aquarium Advice Addict
greetings ... I'm a freshwater kinda guy, but I figured you salties would have more dealings with a place named "Reefgeek.com" since they seem to cater more toward salt systems

anyway, I was browsing their site, and came up with a 'kit' of parts that will give me a diy'd 2x 96 watt PC system for under $100!

get this:

2x 6700k hamilton tech 96 watters .. $19.95 ea $40
1x Fulham workhorse 7 (220 watts) .. $35.95 ea $36
4x PC Bulb clips .. $1.95 ea $8
2x 4 pin square sockets .. $5.96 ea $12

With shipping it comes to $102.50

so, my question is; is reefgeek.com using too many reefers (sorry, bad joke), or are they legit ... how have your past experiences been?

Thanks
Gordon

well the price on the bulbs seems awful low. I usually see 96W power compact bulbs for $29-40/each. Ah after looking at their site I see the 6700K bulbs are the cheapest of the kevlin ratings.

Over at www.ahsupply.com they a simular kit that includes everything except bulbs for 2 x 96 watt Bright Kit $114.99

I cant comment on the quality of reefgeek.com as I have not used them. The photo they have of the workhorse 7 is simular in apperance to the ballast that comes with the ahsupply kit except the ahsupply kit has 110W ballasts vs 220W ballasts. Of course apperance in a photo does not exactly mean they are the same ballasts either.

Man I paid 60 bucks a piece for the 6700 hamilton bulbs here in town...$19.95, I may stock up... That is an excellent price...I don't think you will find or beat that anywhere on the web..

I placed my order shortly after posting (sorry, I'm impatient)

I spoke with Greg, and he was very helpfull ... he told me they are over-stocked on the 96w 67k, and that is why the price is reduced ... he also said that the bulb I receive might be a Custom SeaLife instead of Hamilton, depending on how many they had

the ahsupply ballast is probably a rebranded Fulham "Longhorse", which is the same as the workhorse, except supports long bulb leads, seeing as how they remote mount their ballast with injection molded water resistant end-caps for the lights ... as for the watts, I don't know how hard ahsupply pushes their bulbs ... at 110 watts a piece, i'll be overdriving mine slightly, but I doubt it will cause any problems.

I purchased a retro kit from reefgeek , it was a 2x32Watt kit . After checking different sites , reefgeek had the cheepest price, plus free shipping on $50 and above orders. I got the kit pretty fast since they are local. I was satisfied . :wink:

Back
Top Bottom