Community Tank Set Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jellybeanie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Finally finished cycling my new 200litre Jewel Lido tank. Looks good to be honest. Live rock, going to get some corals tomorrow :D but I have a question. I have been doing research on livestock for my tank for the near future and have decided. Just want to know if you guys think it's a good mix. 1 Mandarin Dragonet, 1 Longnose Butterfly, 1 Bengaii Cardinal and 2 Ocellaris Clowns. The guy in the pet shop suggests some hermit crabs to clean around the live rock so I might get some of them. Based on my research these fish are peaceful enough and very beautiful. I'm also going to set up a 'pod pile' for the Mandarin Dragonet but I was wondering if the hermit crabs would knock it down and eat all the 'pods' :(. Should I skip the hermits and leave the rock cleaning to the Longnose Butterfly? Might add in a Blenny eventually. Think they're kind of cool and some species are reef friendly (if I remember correctly). But then would the Blenny 'attack' the 'pod pile'. I can skip on the Blenny. Obviously I won't be adding in all the fish at once. Will probably start with the clowns, then the Butterfly, Cardinal and at the end the Mandarin. Thanks for your help :)

Finally finished cycling my new 200litre Jewel Lido tank. Looks good to be honest. Live rock, going to get some corals tomorrow :D but I have a question. I have been doing research on livestock for my tank for the near future and have decided. Just want to know if you guys think it's a good mix. 1 Mandarin Dragonet, 1 Longnose Butterfly, 1 Bengaii Cardinal and 2 Ocellaris Clowns. The guy in the pet shop suggests some hermit crabs to clean around the live rock so I might get some of them. Based on my research these fish are peaceful enough and very beautiful. I'm also going to set up a 'pod pile' for the Mandarin Dragonet but I was wondering if the hermit crabs would knock it down and eat all the 'pods' :(. Should I skip the hermits and leave the rock cleaning to the Longnose Butterfly? Might add in a Blenny eventually. Think they're kind of cool and some species are reef friendly (if I remember correctly). But then would the Blenny 'attack' the 'pod pile'. I can skip on the Blenny. Obviously I won't be adding in all the fish at once. Will probably start with the clowns, then the Butterfly, Cardinal and at the end the Mandarin. Thanks for your help :)

I personally would skip the butterfly. Longnosr can be pretty difficult and that tank is a little small for them. They also aren't 100% reef safe. The mandarin shouldn't be added for a good 6 months to a year as well to let the pod population establish. If you want the cardinals I'd get a trio of them. You are using rodi water right? Only add a cuc if you like what you're adding. If you like hermits you can add them and yea they will help clean up algae but just remember they need to eat stuff after all that algae is gone.

Back
Top Bottom