Compatibility and ideal fish for smaller tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidtokyo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
You may have read my last post, but to refresh your memory:
I have a 20 gallon almost done cycling with two small damsels, crushed coral substrate, submersible filter, standard florescent lighting, power filter sitting on back.

My question: What are some nice little combinations of fish to have in a 20. I know I have the damsels, so you can include them in the combo, plus give me some ideas excluding them just in case I trade them in or something. I love clown fish, but the damsels seem like they could be too aggressive for a clown?

Also what other oddballs (shrimp, hermit crab, sea anenome, etc..) would be ideal for a small aquarium.

One more thing:
Is cleaning and syphoning the gravel done in the saltwater world? Isnt the bacteria and stuff that develop in the gravel an important thing in marine tanks? Also, is a "sand bed" something that will develop over time, or is there something special I need to do to make it happen.

Sorry for all the questions!

Eric

A sand bed requires sand. If you have crushed coral then you will need to replace that with argonite sand to get your sand bed.

Yes you can syphon you crushed coral. I avocate not syphing the entire substrate surface but leaving 1/2 of the tank un syphoned and then alternate between sides on your water changes.

Stay way from anenome's. Search the site you will find a few discussions about them with loads of info. But basicly they need high quality water, with a stable enviorment and TONS of light.

Your not gonna like this part...

But with those damsels just about anything you add at this point is gonna risk death from harrasment. If you want you can try to exchange the damsels for credit and get two small clowns. (get two of the same species). If your lucky they will grow up and pair off into male/female.

A coral banded shrimp or maybe a pair of cleaner shrimp would be nice in your tank. I would nto mix the two shrimps. Maybe some peppermint or fire shrimp. Hermits and snails add to your taste.

In my 20L I have a red lipped blenny (Ophioblennius atlanticus), Sixline Wrasse (Psuedocheilinus hexataenia) and A GS maroon (Premnus biaculeatus). In a 20, your only going to be able to put in 2-3 small fish. I agree to get rid of the damsels, they mean little buggers and you won't be able to add anything in the future.

I rekon you should ditch the damsels
I rather like the 4-striped ones, but if you ant other fish they'll be a problem.
I rekon you should get a pair of clowns, nice little fish.
Maybe a gramma and some other little fish.
Possiblely about 3 fire gobies, i heard these are easy to keep :lol:
get some snails and shrimps. I dont like hermit crabs. get some peppiment or coral banded shrimps(these are beautiful :wink: )
hope this has helped,
—›Justin™

Back
Top Bottom