Condylactis Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the Pet Store buying some food for my clownfish. And they had several Condylactis Anemone's for only 6.99 a piece. I figured what the heck it can't hurt anything my tank is doing good right now levels are ok.. I googled the Condylactis Anemone for some info but figured it would be much better to ask the people here at AA. It eats chunks of fish which one should I feed and how often. And I read the success rate of these is not all that great. Does anyone here have expeirience with the Condylactis Anemone???

condys dont usually host a clown however it has happened .
You can feed small pieces of silver slide 2-3 times a week or some mysis ...
However they still need an established tank and decient lighting for them to survive , they also have a very potent sting and will walk ... Keep power head intakes covered with mesh and your intake to your filter covered as a walking nem is one that can get caught up sliced and diced and nuke your tank..

what is silver slide exactly and how do you feed it just drop it on top of the anemone and hope it pulls it in and swallows it.. If I fed it frozen Krill do you think it would eat it?? Also I read that the addition of Iodine is necessary. I have not read of anyone actually dosing Iodine and don't believe it will be necessary but wondering if I should buy an Iodine test kit just to see where I am at.

Last edited:
Your tank is too new. You haven't had enough time to establish what "normal" levels are. And yes... it can hurt things in your tank.

The Condy tends to do a lot of traveling around the tank and will sting anything it comes in contact with. They really aren't very good to have in a reef tank. If you have any power heads near the rockwork watch out as you may wake up one morning to find it sucked into the intake. I also agree with Kurt your tank is still a little too new for an anemone. It's a good idea to have a tank established for 6+ months before adding any kind of anemone.

Whatever you do, please dont dose Iodine unless you test for it. PWC's should do all you need.

If you test and find it low, and insist on dosing...I suggest only 1/2 the recommended dose. You WILL kill your livestock if you OD Iodine.

Your tank is too new. You haven't had enough time to establish what "normal" levels are. And yes... it can hurt things in your tank.
Alright Kurt I respect your opinions you are correct for sure.. I got a little excited and jumped the gun. It was just such a good deal I couldn't help it.. So i guess I will give it away to my pet store good thing it was only 6.99. I think I will keep it for a little while until My clean up crew order comes in and I risk doing some serious financial damage Plus there is nothing really that the anemone could really hurt unless it dies and kills my water and the powerheads are too high for it to get to. Then I will say goodbye to my anemone friend.... from now on I will ask before I buy as long as I can control myself.. So Could I get some advice on this order I described in my other post http://aquariumadvice.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99800&page=2

Last edited:
Listen, everyone screws up in this hobby. I did the exact same thing you did, only the anemone I got was also bleached (sick). Just learn from it and move on. Not the end of the world. ;)

Oh... I wouldn't go and say I'm correct for sure! I just have my opinions like everyone else. I just know you're still planning on what to do for Ca dosing, and from my experience, until you get that figured out your water will be anything BUT stable! Also... unless your powerheads are out of the water, I wouldn't say that thing couldn't get to it!

If you have any corals or want to get some later, the condy will kill them when it moves around. And, at least here, condys are always that cheap, same with rock anemones (E. crucifer).

Back
Top Bottom