Confusion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had my 5 gal. nano tank running for 10 days. Today I checked the chemistry and everything is at 0 except for an 8.2 PH. Is it time for me to do a partial water change and/or add the clean up crew or are these readings way out of line for the amount of time it's been cycling?
I started with about 10 lbs of LR, LS and 5 gal. of that boxed ocean water. Brand is called "Real Ocean Water". I am willing to wait as long as it takes, but got really excited when I saw the readings today. I don't want to kill anybody though. :D

Was the lr cured from a lfs or ordered online? Did you have a nh3 reading of at 2+ ppm and if so when did you last have any traceable amount?

With the standard filtration on your 5 gallon Eclipse hexagon you are going to have CO2 due to the tank height and it being covered which will cause your ph to crash over time.

I’d highly consider starting over with a slightly larger/longer tank. Even a 10 gal $10 tank from Wal-Mart would be better. For the average price of $45 that your tank costs you could have bought a 29 gal.

I fear a tank this small and high is just going to be too much trouble and is best left for FW and not SW.

I think he can do it. He will jsut have some different challenges. If you goign to ad anyhting maybe add a small fish or one snail. DOn't throw too much in there cause it sounds liek your cycle may have not run the full course or somehting funny is going on. Typically you want to wait a month to 3 months before addign coral.

jasno999 said:
Typically you want to wait a month to 3 months before addign coral.
That isn’t even an option with this tank with the standard 10W incandescent bulb. That along with the oxygen exchange issues of taller tanks is why I still recommend a larger tank.

Won't a protine skimmer help with gettign oxygen dissolved in the water???

I did nto realize he only had 10W. But a stronger light some good water movment and surface agitation and the tank could work out for him.

There are very few skimmers that could hang on the back of that hex tank that are less then 15” tall but it would help. Most nano tank owners I know perform more PWC then use a skimmer due to the small amount of water. A ph could be used and the top kept open (if possible) and I think it would make a great FW tank but personally I wouldn’t trust it for SW.

There are good SW nano tanks on the market like the JBJ 12 gal deluxe or 12 gal Cube Master 2006 that are designed with saltwater in mind with proper lighting/filtration and costs twice as much as the eclipse systems.

Back
Top Bottom