Considering starting a tank for the first time.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have always had fresh water aquariums and admired salt water but have never had one. I currently have a 55 gallon freshwater set up and running well so there is not much of a challenge to it anymore.

I have two empty tanks at the moment and I am considering making one into a salt water. I have a 29 gallon and a 55 gallon. I have always heard that with salt water it is always best to go as big as you can...

I would love to get some opinions from people with experience. I currently have none.... I would love to be able to have live rock and coral and a few colorful fish when all is said and done if I choose to go with salt water.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The main difference between salt and fresh is water purity IMO. Treated tap water while fine for fw setups is a big no no in reefs. First thing I would look into is ro/di water either bought from a lfs or get your own unit( best $200 I've spent in this hobby was my ro/di unit). On your tank sizes I think the 29 would be easier to make into a reef because it's shallower and deeper than the 55

The 29 would be cheaper, but the 55 has many more options and will be easier to maintain.

Back
Top Bottom