Considering turning my 265 gallon bar build into a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JraGold

Aquarium Advice Freak
It's still a thought but a serious one.
I've always wanted to do it. And things are starting to fall into place for me.

My biggest concern is the tanks dimensions and what lighting systems I should go with? I'm assuming LEDs but which ones? How many? The tanks footprint is 72"x24" and it's..... 36" deep! Oh and due to it being a bar build I am very limited to space above the tank.. My tank is the bar ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411948598.832367.jpg

I'm currently using an aquatic life 8bulb t5's.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So you already have the tank? Like that's your setup?

I'm wondering how maintenance is done, it seems like you can't get oxygen to the water since the top is always closed.
You have to think where all your filtration will go?

Yup! That's my setup currently. The top is removable. I have about 5" from the top of the tank to the bottom of the bar top that is totally open. I have 2 fans built into the canopy for air movement.

I have lots of room for filtration. Either to the far right behind the bar (is where my current filtration is) or behind that wall is my basement. Considering putting a large sump downstairs.

Wow, you thought it out well. Normally that's huge pain to maintain, but yours seems likes good plan.
The 8 bulb t5 should be plenty to keep most corals.

I would do a large sump in the basement, as big as you can.

The biggest problem You will face is that filling it with corals will be quite expensive.

Yes thanks. I put a lot of thought into the whole build before I started. Even planned for a future sw setup ;) just have to build up the courage to take the leap! Haha

Gorgeous set up and an excellent thought process you have. I say go for it (SW) and jump right in. Lots of great info and folks (^^ that guy up there^^) to guide ya right thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Back
Top Bottom