contamination question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c-bass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a some 1/2 '' pvc pipe and several varying fittings from home depot to make a frame for my live rock so I can get the look i'm going for. The problem is that the pvc pipe is rather dirty... I am going to rinse and scrub it with tap water and avoid using soaps but is there anything else I can do? Is there a chance that I could polute my water by any unknown residuals on the framework? Is this typical?

some people clean there dead coral decorations with a light bleach soultion. Soak the pipe overnight in the really light soultion then take the pipe out and soak it in tap water for at leaste 6 hours with some kind of de-chlorinatior ie ammonia lock. this should help. JC

Sounds good... I just finished washing it with water and a clean rag.... it took alot of the dirt off but there are still large brown streaks that are faint, but still there. I don't think any amount of scrubbing with just water will remove it. I will try to get it out by your suggestion, I was a method I was thinkg about trying anyway. Thanks for the help.

The usual mixture is 10:1 ratio of water to bleach.

Let it soak and then througly rinse the pipe in regular water. YOu can then soak in declornated water or let it sit outside in the sun for a period of time.

If you can still smell the bleach then its not rinsed well enough.

If there are still any dirty looking areas after the bleaching process, chances are it won't be coming of will it? That said, is it safe at this point once no bleach is detectable?

Back
Top Bottom