Converting Fresh to Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125gal freshwater tank i am going to convert to saltwater. I know most of what i need to do. But would like to know if i can use some of the freshwater decor in the saltwater? And i have small gravel in the tank now. Can i move some of the gravel out and place live sand in the open places? So i would have like gravel,sand,gravel.sand. I would like to put live rock on the gravel and maybe some decor.

TIA Danj

Yes you can use your freshwater aquarium decor for saltwater (most aquarium decor is suitible for saltwater according to the labels when i browse through the decor isle at my lfs).

If you browse through the saltwater showcase section of this forum, then you will rarely find people using fake decor in their tank. It looks very fake IMO, but nobody's opinion on the looks of your tank matters except yours.

If you are trying to use a deep sandbed for biological filtration, then im not sure how your gravel will affect the effectiveness of it. If you are going foe aesthetics, then i suggest taking out all the gravel and adding a thin layer of aragonite sand 1-2 inches.

I sure hope you have more questions.

Gravel is usually too big and traps detritus in it and is nearly impossible to get clean, which will eventually result in high nitrates. Sand or barebottom- or some people like crushed coral-is usually better for Sw than gravel.

Well looks like it is out with the gravel and in with the sand. Thanks for the help.
@ Terrance. I am sure i will have alot more questions.:D

Back
Top Bottom