Converting my juwel 80 to marine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrevLee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
I'm considering converting my 80 Ltr (20 gal) tank to marine.
It's only got the basic juwel filter in the corner and the lights built into the hood.
Just wondering what equipment is needed for this size of a tank
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi
I'm considering converting my 80 Ltr (20 gal) tank to marine.
It's only got the basic juwel filter in the corner and the lights built into the hood.
Just wondering what equipment is needed for this size of a tank
Thanks

Welcome to the world of saltwater! Instead of the filter you have.I would suggest 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of live or base rock(I used base rock).You will need some wave makers to provide aeration. The other equipment is dependent upon what you plan on doing FOWLR(fish only with live rock or reef) I believe the hood lighting should be sufficient for a FOWLR but for a reef I would get a canopy or cover and do LEDs that are designed for a reef. Both the wave makers and the lights usually specify what tank size is optimal. 20 lbs of sand if you want substrate.Stay away from crushed coral its a nitrate trap.
You will need a test kit and a refractometer(its much more accurate than a hydrometer in my experience.),a small float magnet to clean the glass and a quarantine tank(although I suggest you use the 20g as a quarantine tank and go for a larger size tank because it allows for beginner error, is easy to maintain good water quality without so many water changes and you can keep more fish and/or get the fish you really want like tangs or angels for example they would definitely not be at home in 20g tank.
There are some really good articles on this site.Just go to the articles tab and you will find some good info.
Good luck! :fish2:

Thanks criptix, I'm hoping to go with a reef tank but with the size if the tank it'll probably be a nano reef.
I was thinking of changing the existing t8 bulb to a marine bulb and adding some LED's.
Would I need an external filter or would the live rock and power heads be enough?

The t8s aren't really gonna cut it in terms of corals, a 4 bulb t5ho unit would be minimum for a good variety of options. LEDs will be cheaper in the long run if not right off the start. Is it a 20 long or tall?

Edit: whoops, I see it's not a standard tank, what are the dimensions?

Thanks criptix, I'm hoping to go with a reef tank but with the size if the tank it'll probably be a nano reef.
I was thinking of changing the existing t8 bulb to a marine bulb and adding some LED's.
Would I need an external filter or would the live rock and power heads be enough?

No,an external filter is not needed.The live rock is your filter.There are some additional equipment that you can use. You can use a sump,Protein Skimmer or refugium to help keep the tank water quality good. I am going to be using a protein skimmer and hob refugium. Your system is nano so you should be ok with just a protein skimmer and the live rock.
As for the leds,many people use the TaoTronics® TT-AL09 165w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights.One should be sufficient. i attached a link to Amazon but I hear you can get good deals on ebay.
Amazon.com : TaoTronics® TT-AL09 165w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights Aquarium Hoods Led Reef Light for Coral Fish Seaweed (55*3w Led, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty)* : Pet Supplies
Another good source is Youtube. There are loads of videos about sumps,reviews on products and how to videos. Hope this helps. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom