converting to internal overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ok...i have a 100 gal and got it from a friend way back....is has 2 drill hole in the corner but capped off....Im curious as to how much of a pain would it be to make an internal overflow using these...
does anyone have any info or gudies on doing this cause im having a hell of a time with my extrenal overflow boxes...
is it just a matter of getting a piece a glass all most the same height and gluein it in the corner diagionlly?
i heard its 100times better and safer and all.....i know its alot of work but i have a spare 30 gal i can house my fish and what not until im done....cant i place the LR in some tubs filled with water and PH to keep them good?
i never really thought about it when i 1st set this up...but was doin some cleaing and all and looked under the tank and saw the bulk head fitting that are capped off...and saw that they are good and sealed cause no salt was around them and the issues im having with the overflow boxs i have....urrg
so this maybe a project i thinkin of doing.
any help will be helpful

My LFS sells overflow kits. Comes with overflow box and bulkheads. Just have to glue in the box, and screw in the bulkheads. (Sounds like you already have the bulkheads though.) Otherwise, yeah you could just cut some teeth in one end of a pane of plexi and glue it into the corner. You may want to research standpipes before you decide how big to make your overflow boxes.

What are you going to do with the current occupants whle you're gluing up the overflow chamber?

i have a 30 gal illset up and transfer too....with the same water so it wont stress them out...can use my same sump and all....
the LR ill put in a big bin with water and PH
i figured if i work on this all day this will take a 2-3 days to do
one full day for the glue to cure

anyone have good pics of there internal overflow? i think im goin to move forward with tis project but like to get a visual
also....would it be better to get a glass partition or plexiglass? im sure i can get a glass shop tocut the gglass the way i want....for extra $$ of course lol
but will plexiglass but able to glue in and hold as good as glass?

Plexi is alot easier to work with. If you use a standpipe then sealing is less critical. I've not heard though of anyone having problems sealing plexi to glass.

Back
Top Bottom