Converting to salt water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dewey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well heres what i bought today. A Seaclone100 skimmer,magnum 350 deluxe convertible canister filter,20 lb agra alive aragonite reef sand and natures ocean premiun marine substrate. And one last thing coralife salt.Where do i get started setting this up? Do i mix water first or do i put in sand? When do i start. the canister fliter amd the skimmer? Thanks for all the help. Thanks Duane

What size tank. you say converting so is your freshwater tank still up and running?

Its easiest to just shut down the freshwater tank. Drain it and take out all the old substrate.

For your first batch of water you could mix it in your tank. Always add salt to water and never the other way around.

Dont put the sand in till the newly mixed saltwater has had a chance to mix for 1 day. Add the canister filter (if tats all you have for water movment) right away along with your heater and set the heater to 80F. Mix the salt slowly once your tank water has gotten up to temp.

When adding the sand put the bag in the water and cut a slit and pour it out under water this way. YOU will get less of a storm cloud.

Skimmer can go in at any time but dont expect it to skim anything until after you have some fish in there.

What do you plan on putting in the tank. What do you want in the way of fish.

CHeck out our article on how to cycle your tank with out fish >>HERE<<

Its a 40 gallon hex.I want to have a few fish, some live rock and maybe coral some day. Thanks. Do i need more water movement? I also have a power filter that goes on the back of the tank i can use.

fishfreek-- Do i set the temp to 80 just for cycling purposes? After the cycle should i set it back to around 74-76? Thanks for all the help.Keep the info coming.

Could you give me some names of companys that sell supply's .i would like to get a few catalogs.

Dewey said:
Do i need more water movement? I also have a power filter that goes on the back of the tank i can use.
A 350 GPH canister will provide adequate water movement for a 40 gal hex but I would also add an additional PH for lower water movement. Hex tanks are rather tall and not that great for SW applications but keeping all area's of the tank moving is a good idea. The Magnum will take care of the surface movement just fine.

fishfreek-- Do i set the temp to 80 just for cycling purposes? After the cycle should i set it back to around 74-76?
Set the temp to about 78-80° and leave it there. Marine tanks do not do well at lower temps unless you are keeping specific species. The main concern is not to allow wild fluctuations in the temp.

Cheers
Steve

Lightting

Another question. Should i remove the plexey glass between the light and Hood? Just wondering if this would let better light threw. Or will the moisture ruin the light? Thanks agian for all help keep the info coming. Im learning more every day. :D

I run my lights with nothing between them and the water. I have about 5-6" space between them and the water. Having something covering the water will reduce gas exchange aswell.

Back
Top Bottom