Copepods??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank has now been up and running for two and a half months. Recently I've noticed when I first turn on the lights there are little white "bugs" all over the glass. They are white, around .5mm, have 2 antennae and a tail. They soon disappear into the sand after the lights have been on for a few minutes. Are these good, bad, or nothing. A pic would be impossible. TIA

Yeah those sound like copepods which I'd love to have. They're apparantly a sign that things are going okay and are a food for some types of fish. My tanks been running for 8 months and I don't think i've seen one yet.

Anyone know what conditions promote copepods?

Visuvius,
Have you added TRUE LS to your tank.. What are you using for a substrate.. Copepods like sugar size sand.. Also it depends on where you got the LS if any from.. They would not get into the tank unless introduced somehow.. My tank is less than 2 month old and they are everywhere.. I added 15lbs of LS from www.liverocks.com It was full of all sorts of critters.. If you want to pick up your population of copepods rather nicely I would say to add 10+lbs of good LS to your tank.. Stay away from the stuff that comes "prepackaged" The more the better... As well as all the usual 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, less than 10 nitrates, Salinity 1.025, temp 80-82... If I am incorrect someone please correct me..

HTH,
James

Can I get a green mandarin yet :!: The LS I bought was bagged, but I also have 45LBS LR. Guess thats where they came from. Much debate about how "alive" bagged LS is (past post). Thanks cj, vis.

I would still wait on getting a mandrin.. I would wait til your tank is 6+ months old... Now if you can find one that eats Prepared foods by all means go for it... But i would recommend waiting.. I want one myself but since the one died in transit I have decided to wait for a while before attempting to get another..

Hth,
James

Sounds like pods of some sort, I would be more inclined to guess amphipods than copapods, amphipods will look more like ants where copapods will look like rollie pollies. If it looks like niether....then it's probably mysis shrimp.

Are the smaller bugs in this picture what you are referring to? They are Harpacticoid Copepods.

pods.jpg

Looks like stomatella varia, babies in fact. Have you seen a few large ones like this?

1stomp01.jpg

Cheers
Steve

One maybe two that are 3/8 of an inch. Two more that are smaller. They must have come in on the LR I have in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom