Coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reedw20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am starting to get an idea of the corals I'm going to get, I have a wave maker and live rock, the only thing I need to know is how to really care for them, what do I feed them, and how often

Nothing they get everything they need photosynthetically from the light. You have a strong light over the tank right?

Nothing they get everything they need photosynthetically from the light. You have a strong light over the tank right?

Yes I have a Chinese black box, so I don't have to feed them any shrimp or mysis, correct

Correct they get all they need from the light. I seldomly feed acans, Duncan’s, scolys, and large open brains though as it’s kinda cool to watch them eat but they don’t need it

Yes they get all they need from the light and water column. There are a few that you have to feed but not a lot out there.

But!!! You can feed them if you want.. a little reef roids here and there can get them moving. I've seen them take mysis shrimp before, hairy mushroom and a toadstool.

But!!! You can feed them if you want.. a little reef roids here and there can get them moving. I've seen them take mysis shrimp before, hairy mushroom and a toadstool.

I have never target fed a photosynthetic coral. Just because it can do something doesn’t mean it should. It my Duncan grabs some food while I’m feeding the fish, great, but going out of your way to feed photosynthetic coral for a majority of those in the hobby is setting them up to fail. It is way to easy to foul up the water column or give something too large to digest and end up being stressful.
So, in the end photosynthetic corals are best being left unfed. Proper lighting is all that is necessary to keep them healthy and successful, as this is how they evolved with nature to succeed. If it was meat that was their main diet, they would have better prey capturing ability rather than a passive scavenger one.

Reef roids are very very small. You broadcast them in a power head and any thing that grabs it, grabs it. Many report success using this product. I have seen a massive coral operation that uses this product and his coral growth is amazing.

I don't blame anyone that does target feed theirs. I choose not to because sometimes it can cause bad water conditions that might cause and feed nuisance algae in the tank. Don't worry Brook. Some folks can handle it but some can not either.

I feed reef roids to both of my tanks! Feel like it’s very beneficial for sps and clams. Softies probably like it too. I like watching the lps eat meaty foods though!

I can't make an honest claim. While I do have all types of healthy coral, my green digi is displaying excellent growth, my algae is also a top contender. It's like Michael Phelps and that other guy from the last summer games. But healthy sps is healthy sps

I can't make an honest claim. While I do have all types of healthy coral, my green digi is displaying excellent growth, my algae is also a top contender. It's like Michael Phelps and that other guy from the last summer games. But healthy sps is healthy sps

Join the algae club! I have some in my tank too but it provides a natural food source for my angel. As long as it’s not out of control it’s not really bad imo.

Join the algae club! I have some in my tank too but it provides a natural food source for my angel. As long as it’s not out of control it’s not really bad imo.
It's... something!!! Alright. I'm opromisticly sour... the coral is all thriving so aesthetics can wait.

Back
Top Bottom