Coral & Inverts in a BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Excellent info...Thanks.

Next up is Turbo Snails and Hermit Crabs...How many of each do I need?

LFS has coupon for "Buy 12 Turbo Snails, Get 6 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs Free"

Is that too many? 29Gal BioCube w/ 25lbs LR (So prob about 20Gal in reality)

I'd say about 4 turbo snails max, considering the get pretty decent in size. Blue leg hermits are opportunistic feeders and will pick at your snails and most probably, eat them. You can get by with just snails and here is a sample of your choices: Trochus, Astrea, Turbo, Nassarius, Money Cowry (Erosaria annulus), fighting conch. If you do want hermits, I've always had luck with Scarlet Red Hermits (etropicals.com for a pic). You could get a package of say: 2 Turbos, 3-4 Trochus or Astrea, 5 Nassarius, and the cowry if you can find one for sale :)

I agree about the hermits. I have a very few left in my tank. I would much rather see snails in the tank. The turbos will get large as mentioned and can knock things over. I have astreas and several nassarius. The nassarius do a great job of working the sand for you!

Now I'm bummed!!!...Spoke with LFS guy today. Recommended I not get the Cowry, since I want to put some corals in. Says they can be "not reef friendly". That wasnt such a big deal.

But.. When I mentioned I wanted to get a scooter blenny or two, he said "no way". That even one would die of starvation in my tank. Said it was too small. 29gal BioCube, do you guys concur?

I really wanted at least one of those.

BTW...

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = trace
Nitrate = trace

I get to put my first fish in on Monday!!!! Yippie!!!!

Back
Top Bottom