Coral questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T.J.

Aquarium Advice Regular
My wife has a 55 gallon reef tank and I am worried my LFS is full of crap. We have Marineland reef capable LED lighting. Water levels are perfect as can be. The LFS rep told us we only needed to use Instant Ocean reef accelerator for the corals. See my concern here. Oh yes and we only have basic coral. Zoos, favia, mushrooms, and a yellow polyp rock. Nothing to advanced yet.

So the reef accelerator is fine. Thank you. We have done many fish only set ups. This is our first reef. That's why I asked.

I have never heard of Instant Ocean reef accelerator but when I looked it up I see there is nothing in it that a good reef salt wouldn't have in it.

I started buy premixed saltwater. Because where I live I am u able to set up a RO system. And the water here is not good. I tested it after using conditioner in it and letting it sit for 48 hours and it has phosphates and silica. Also we got a letter about 3 months ago about lead in tap water. The LFS has premixed RO saltwater cheap and it is 8.3 PH with none of the garbage in it that our tap water has. Once I get my own house I will have a RO system and go back to mixing myself. Oh and the salinity of the premixed water is 1.022

That's why I use the reef accelerator. Because I am unsure of what salt is used by the store. I know so far I have lost no corals or fish due to water problems. I lost one due to leaping from the tank and one because it couldn't digest a piece of krill that was to large( my wife made a mistake and didn't break it) it happens.

Ask the store they will most likely tell you what salt they are using. Most in my area uses instant ocean reef crystals.

You could always just ask them what salt they use. also just about any salt brand out there will be close to the same. As long as it doesn't have nitrates and phosphates in the mix you should be fine without having to supplement. Also some of those all in one supplements can be bad as they keep adding things that dont need to be added, such as Iodine (which can kill corals if it gets too high).

I will do that tomorrow. As far as they go some people say not to listen and some people say they are a good source of information. I feel my LFS crew is a great. And so far have not lead me down a wrong path and have infact saved me from a grave error once or twice. But it is this one bottle vs the like 10 that I see other people using. My corals seems healthy and great colored so I assume that they are telling me good advice. I just wanted the opinions of more experienced reef keepers who don't work at my LFS.

Hmm. I didn't know to much iodine would kill the corals. I appreciate the information. My wife and I are new to the reef. So I started this thread for any information I can get from experienced reef keepers. So thank you very much.

those corals you have are very easy to care for. i would do weekly 15-20% water changes and skip the accelerator. btw, you can't keep high light corals under that lighting. if it was the lfs that recommended it, then i would not trust what they say.

I know people who switched from HQI lighting to the LED setups and their corals are growing great. So we figured we would try it. And we do a 20% every week.

LED set ups are fine if you purchase the correct one. the fixture you mentioned is not even close to the intensity of a metal halide fixture.

It's temporary. We are getting these specialized lights called fusion LED's. Two 48 inch strips has the same output as HQI

ok..i just wanted to make you aware of that. some folks think because they are called "reef capable" they actually are. it's like calling a .22 caliber pistol a "man stopper".
you might check into the aqua illuminations sol fixtures as well. they are pretty potent, and upgradable.

I attached a picture do you know what that is MR.X

Attachments

• image-3694497925.jpg
    image-3694497925.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 107
It is in-between actually. Not hard or soft. It feels soft but doesn't move with current.

sounds like a leather. perhaps toadstool or fiji leather.
does it show any polyps at any time?
try turning the rock around and snapping another pic.

Back
Top Bottom