Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
You can isolate it to a rock where it can't spread.
__________________

__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:32 AM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
You can isolate it to a rock where it can't spread.
If you have done this already can you post a picture? I'm a very visual person.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________

__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #103
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
If you have done this already can you post a picture? I'm a very visual person.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
I actually murdered all of my xenia. It was on a rock and a hermit crab or something flipped it over. I was trying to get it to grow up my overflow.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:51 AM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
So the crab or something did it not you? Well that's a relief because If you killed it I have no chance of keeping it alive!


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #105
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
So the crab or something did it not you? Well that's a relief because If you killed it I have no chance of keeping it alive!


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Yes definitely haha. Coral can be weird IMO. I have SPS and an anemone happy yet my GSP are doing terribly.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 12:56 AM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Awe poor GSP. So... Can I start cycling the tank before I get the live sand and rock delivered or do I have to wait? And how do I cycle it? I'm breaking the traditional ways and starting my first tank ever as a salt water/nano reef.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:03 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
Awe poor GSP. So... Can I start cycling the tank before I get the live sand and rock delivered or do I have to wait? And how do I cycle it? I'm breaking the traditional ways and starting my first tank ever as a salt water/nano reef.


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
The bacteria colonizes on the rock so you need that in the tank. When you get the rock, just put a raw shrimp from the store and put it in the tank (preferably in pantyhose so it doesn't make a mess). Just leave it in there for a few days.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:16 AM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
And after a few days it will be done cycling? I thought it took a whole lot longer....


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:25 AM   #109
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
What causes corals to melt away? How long will they last before they melt?


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:55 AM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
The cycle does take longer. The shrimp just builds up ammonia. And corals can melt away from bad water quality or sometimes for no reason. Corals can outlive you as long as you care for them properly.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:16 AM   #111
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Slightlylooney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 44
Why are we feeding coral people ?? I spent weeks feeding my plate coral and wondering why it never came out ... Because I was feeding him . If you turn all your pumps and power heads off when feeding they will pick up enough food to survive and thrive .. Made all these little mistakes and probably killed a few with feeding .. Light and the right mixture of reef additives with a little missed food has worked for me .. Only an opinion but opinions are like bumholes everyone has one !! Try a few little things tweek it here and there


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
Slightlylooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #112
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
The cycle does take longer. The shrimp just builds up ammonia. And corals can melt away from bad water quality or sometimes for no reason. Corals can outlive you as long as you care for them properly.
Cool!


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:24 PM   #113
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slightlylooney View Post
Why are we feeding coral people ?? I spent weeks feeding my plate coral and wondering why it never came out ... Because I was feeding him . If you turn all your pumps and power heads off when feeding they will pick up enough food to survive and thrive .. Made all these little mistakes and probably killed a few with feeding .. Light and the right mixture of reef additives with a little missed food has worked for me .. Only an opinion but opinions are like bumholes everyone has one !! Try a few little things tweek it here and there


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
IMO I think it depends on the coral. I think my duncans and acans benefit from feeding. I feed them every few days. Buy I never feed my zoas or SPS because I don't think it helps.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:26 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,476
My dendro gets fed :p. I try to broadcast feed my sps as well with a small food like reef frenzy. I think it helps


Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:29 PM   #115
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillyfishies View Post
IMO I think it depends on the coral. I think my duncans and acans benefit from feeding. I feed them every few days. Buy I never feed my zoas or SPS because I don't think it helps.

+1 some corals like food while others don't need it at all. You will see a feeding response with many of the corals that like to eat when you put food in the water. i.e. feeding tendrils come out. War coral, torch coral, and chalices are some of the ones that I've personally seen do this. There are many many others though.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:57 PM   #116
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin
 
Sniperhank's Avatar



POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Summerville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 20,248
I haven't seen any benefit to feeding any of the corals in my tank. All it did was foul up the water and then my coral suffered.
If you can't keep the water pristine and remove what is being fed, then don't feed...ever.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:35 PM   #117
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mebbid's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Michigan USA
Posts: 12,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
I haven't seen any benefit to feeding any of the corals in my tank. All it did was foul up the water and then my coral suffered.
If you can't keep the water pristine and remove what is being fed, then don't feed...ever.
Thats a good point. I approach feeding to my tank in a different manner. Ive never had a detectable level of nitrates in my tank so I dont really have to worry about feeding.
__________________
"The simplest explanation for some phenomenon is more likely to be accurate than more complicated explanations." -Occam's razor
Mebbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #118
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
Thats a good point. I approach feeding to my tank in a different manner. Ive never had a detectable level of nitrates in my tank so I dont really have to worry about feeding.
Me either. But I spot feed and all the food get's consumed, and the little that doesn't, get's quickly engulfed by my pig of a clownfish.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #119
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NatureFish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,097
Coralline algae and Jar reef

The corals I want don't need to be fed though right?


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
__________________
NatureFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:23 PM   #120
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureFish View Post
With corals I want don't need to be fed though right?


NatureFish
🐟🐟🐟🐟
Yup. It's mostly LPS that like being fed.
__________________

__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
algae, coral, coralline, line, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mushroom coral jar? Bettacrazy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 3 08-09-2011 10:54 PM
What to do with a jar? Aquarium1 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 3 11-08-2009 02:34 PM
Cycling a jar chenwb Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 06-16-2009 03:22 AM
Kimchee jar aquarium? Cheburashka Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 14 01-31-2007 10:47 PM
Ghost in a jar....I want one talloulou Aquaria Off-Topic 10 09-16-2005 10:52 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.