Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reg100

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone
Please could anyone tell me what sort of corals are sps and lps as I can't get my head round what the difference is . Ihave some soft corals but just upgraded to a larger tank and bought some leds that will do the above just wanted to clarify what I could get. The lfs that I go to have just started to get some hard corals in but they don't have much of a clue when I ask them about what they need.
Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Los have large polyps that away in the current. Sps have small polyps that come out of the skeleton. Sps and lps are just hobbyist terms though. However, some examples of lps would be hammer, torch, Duncan, acans, caulastrea, brain corals. Some sps would be montipora, acropora, birds nest, poccillopora.

Thanks alot that makes alot clearer in my own head didn't want to buy something just for it to die.
Many thanks .

The categories are also a general separation of difficulty and requirements.

SPS being the most difficult, requiring the most light, cleanest water and most stable water parameters.

Though I would start with a couplr of lps and see how it goes. Cheers.

Has anyone got any favourite lps that they think I should try?

If you look through my album you`ll see many LPS corals I have in my tank. You can see what they look like under normal conditions.

Brilliant guys thanks alot.

Back
Top Bottom