Corals Anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lanej20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am looking for some beginner corals. I have sufficient lighting for just about all corals, but I am a poor college student. If anyone knows a good place to get reasonably priced corals I would really appreciate it. I live near Springfield, IL so if anyone in the area has Corals for sale or anything I would love to talk.

I would look up aquarium clubs in your area as they might be able to help you out.

You might want to try frags iun your tank . They are usually pretty cheap and you can find them at your LFS or on this site on the barter/trade forum.

Didn't you just finish cycling recently and need to do a massive water change? I would definately wait a bit. Aren't you moving soon too? You might want to slow down. My brother in law rushed his tank recently and spent over $800 in livestock and it all died from Ammonia Nitrate and Nitrite spikes. Take your time. This is a very expensive hobby. We all hear can give and receive great advice all time. You might want to take this one.

I have 260 watts of total light. 2 65 watt 12k daylight bulbs and 2 65 watt actinic blue lights. The tank is 55 gallons. Right now I have a medium yellow tang and a small humu humu trigger. I have approximately 60lbs of live rock and 50lbs of live sand. I definitely agree that I might be getting in a bit of a hurry, but right now I am just looking for suggestions as to what kind of corals I might be able to keep with the tank setup I currently have. I havnt spent that much money on fish yet, I am just trying to get some information to help me along. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can lend.

Thank you sooo much. That is a great database and those suggestions you made are perfect. Thanks again.

If your tank has been up (post cycle) less then 4-6 months I wouldn't recomend adding corals just yet. You need to allow your system to get a little more established. As someone said about their error spending $800 on stuff and it ended up dead because of ammonia. Allow your tank to grow a bit before you add expensive and delicate animals. This is a work in progress kind of hobby it takes time and patients!

Ziggy waiting is a good thing but IMO 4-6 months for most corals is a bit much.. As long as the tank is stable then they should be ready for coral. Anemone now thats a different story..
Most Soft corals are easy and hardy...
Again if they chose to wait thats a good thing..

Back
Top Bottom