Corals for 20g..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hypostomus

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, here's my third post on a different issue in the same tank. :) My SG is finally at 1.023-1.024 and I used two different Nitrate tests (mine and the LFS's) to determine that my Nitrates are at 0 ppm. I think the tank is ready for some corals. In case you haven't seen the stats elsewhere in my ubiquitous question posts, here they are:

20g
Running: ~1 month
Penguin 170 Biowheel Filter
ThermalCompact 100 watt Heater
Coralife Deluxe Fluorescent 130 watt Aqualight (2 65-watt lamps, 30")
"Sea Gravel" substrate (white)
~15 lbs live rock
1 ~8lb red rock (volcanic rock?)

pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
SG: 1.024
Temp: 81 degrees F

1 A. ocellaris (Ocellaris Clownfish)
1 unidentified marine snail

I was doing some research and I comprised a list of corals that were good for beginners/would probably do well to the tank. My question is, should I look for anything else? Are there any other corals I should consider or be sure to avoid? I know I shouldn't get stony corals, but that's about it. Are "sea fans" (fan worms) or any other common sessile invertebrate choices or eventual choices? The LFS sells "Cyclop-Eeze" and live phytoplankton for fish and corals. They are going to help me with preparing a clean-up crew as well when I get the corals (it's a most trusted store-- they have wonderful display tanks, including one with a shark and another with several large anemones).

Here's my list (I thought it might be helpful to any other beginners too):

-Actinodiscus sp. (Green Fluorescent Mushroom, Striped Mushroom, Spotted Mushroom, Blue Mushroom)
-Ricordea yuma (Flower Mushroom)
-Rhodactis sp. (Lavender Mushroom, Hairy Mushroom, Bullseye Mushroom, Elephant Ear Mushroom)
-Amplexidiscus sp. (Giant Cup Mushroom)

-Pachyclavularia violacea (Green Star Polyp)
-Clavularia sp. (Metallic Star Polyp, Brown Polyp, Clove Polyp)
-Xenia sp. (Red-Brown Polyp, Xenia Polyp)

-Zoanthus sp. (Sea Mats, Colonial Polyps, Button Polyps)
-Protopalythea sp. (Moon Polyps, Encrusting Anemones)
-Palithoa sp. (Trumpet Polyps [?])

-Claudiella sp. (Colt Coral [only when tank is established?])

-Sarcophton trocheliophorum (Toadstool Leather [Common])
-Lobophytum sp. (Devil's Finger, Milk Coral)
-Lobophytum crassum (Cabbage Leather, Flower Leather, Lettuce Leather)
-Sinularia sp. (Finger Leather)
-Nephtea sp. (Green Leather)

-Plerogyra sp./Plerogyra flexuosa? (Pearl Bubble Coral)

My mother (who will run the tank since I'm away at school most of the time) would like "colorful" corals. Personally I liked some Xenia Polyps I saw at the LFS today, but we're waiting till Friday to see what else comes in (all the clean-up crew stuff and new corals are coming in tomorrow morning). One last question- are Xenia considered rare? The ones I saw were a modest clump for about $70.

-Actinodiscus sp. (Green Fluorescent Mushroom, Striped Mushroom, Spotted Mushroom, Blue Mushroom)
-Ricordea yuma (Flower Mushroom)
-Rhodactis sp. (Lavender Mushroom, Hairy Mushroom, Bullseye Mushroom, Elephant Ear Mushroom)
-Amplexidiscus sp. (Giant Cup Mushroom)

The ultimate beginner coral, but be careful they spread and, IMO, are aggressive.

-Pachyclavularia violacea (Green Star Polyp)
-Clavularia sp. (Metallic Star Polyp, Brown Polyp, Clove Polyp)

While not necessarily aggressive, by shear crowth alone,can encroach and over grow corals.

only when tank is established?])

All corals are best left to tanks that are well established ;)

One last question- are Xenia considered rare?

Some are, some aren't, depends on the species, rare is not it, quite so much as slow to propogate. Most xenia are weeds ;)

Other corals not on your list are open brain corals Trachiphyllia sp, Hammer, frogspawn, and torch (Euphyllia sp) and Cyanaria sp. These are not considered as hardy as the ones you listed, but certainly some of the hardier LPS.

Other corals not on your list are open brain corals Trachiphyllia sp, Hammer, frogspawn, and torch (Euphyllia sp) and Cyanaria sp. These are not considered as hardy as the ones you listed, but certainly some of the hardier LPS.
Forgot the Bubble Coral... all of the above are Awesome.. I like the LPS alot but I am more into SPS-Acros lol

James

Actually, when he said Plerogyra sp, he was referring to the bubble, didn't read where he specified the flexuosa.

Actually, when he said Plerogyra sp, he was referring to the bubble, didn't read where he specified the flexuosa.
I missed where he said the bubble LOL Sorry.. LOL Careful with the bubble they will eventually outgrow your tank.. Mine is 10x the size that it was when i bought it 7 months ago LOL.. Wish I had the ____ to frag it.. lol

James

I'll be careful on the bubble, and I'll ask the LFS about the stony corals you mentioned.

And I'm a girl, FYI. :)

And I'm a girl, FYI.
Nice A Salty Girl.. Not very common I'm a Salty Boy LOL

and I'll ask the LFS about the stony corals you mentioned.
I would stay away from most SPS Except Montipora Digitada.. The LPS corals Reefrunner mentioned you will Like... They are awesome.. the bubble coral is fun to Feed...

I attached a pic of my bubble coral when i got it and a current pic..

James

What a cool coral. It would be pretty bad if it outgrew my tank though..

Also, I was reading up on some of the stony corals mentioned at liveaquaria.com and most of them said you need to add Calcium, Strontium, etc. to the water. How should I do this? My water source is just tap water, which I know no serious reefkeeper would apparently ever use, but I don't think we have the space or the money to get a RO/DI unit. Should I basically cross the beginner's stony corals off the list or is there a way to get the elements I need into the water? I read an article that said I could rely on my salt (Deep Ocean brand in my case) to add it in for me and that buying "Trace Elements" bottles at the store was a waste of money.

What do you guys think?

IMO if oyu were just getting a few corals like the LPS you should be fine with just doing bimonthly water changes without adding any addt chemicals.. The tap can be a bad thing but I started out on tap and everything was fine.. Using Tap can just cause alot of algae and depending on the water mess with your levels.. It looks like you are pretty good there though... IMO I would get a salifert Ca and Alk kit and add the corals you see best fit your tank and system and monitor your ca and alk levels.. If either fall too far out of line after the water changes get some Bi-onic 2 part solution and add it at the recomended dose.. BUT IMO I think you should just be fine.. Also dont Dose something in your tank without testing for it first.. Trace elements are IMO a waste..

James

I decided that the current pic doesnt really give the Bubble the Justification that it deserves... Here is a Picture where the bubble is actually what is being photographed..

James

Back
Top Bottom