Corraline algae in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a new 450g tank with 380 lbs or LR. It has been cycling for about 10 days now. I don't know if it is my imagination but it appears that the lr was more colorful when I first started cycling the tank and it seem now that there is less color.

Is it possible that the corraline algae is fading away already? I know I need more lighting but I thought I had more time to decide on which fixtures to purchase.

While on this topic, what is the minimum amount of light I should use to promote and sustain corraline algae?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Coralline will do fine under NO lighting. If the tank is still cycling the chemistry of the water may be hurting your coralline. Dont worry what little will fade you will quickly regain.

Wow, thats a large tank you have there. It's normal for Coralline algae to fade or bleach when being introduced to a new environment. Don't worry, it will either come back or be replaced by a different type of Coralline. You can get pretty nice Coralline growth with as little as 1-2 wpg of NO lighting as long as your CA and ALK levels are good.

Agreed, the coralline will come back, and will likely spread rapidly when it does. I would also ask you to post a pic of your tank/setup. 450g WOW 8O

Jim

What kind of lighting do you have currently? And, what is the depth of your nice 450G tank? Perhap you may need stronger lighting. You can try adding trace elements such as Calcium and Strontium in there to bring the Coraline back.
LR will take on many changes during a cycle. Mine had brown algae all over it during this time.
Mike

I will come back just fine. Like Salttanker said, once all is cycled, keep a pretty high calcium level (380-400) and that should excellerate the growth.

Back
Top Bottom