Correct setup process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Copenhagen_cowboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok I need some help setting up my 36 gallon tank. I have the filter and skimmer going with just my newly mixed saltwater. I'm going to leave this for 24 hours and check my salinity. If it is between 1.020-1.026 in going to continue. I have purchased well established live rock which is sitting in a cooler with a heater, power head and bubbler. I am going to add this but can I add my live sand ( which is new) at the same time or should I wait a couple weeks? Then after levels drop to zero I'm good to add a cleanup crew? How does all this sound. Thanks everyone.

Put your sand in first after a good rinse. Your water will probably still get cloudy from the dust in the sand. After the water clears up then add your rock. Make sure the rock sits on the bottom of the tank not on the sand. Check your salinity at temperature unless your are using a refractometer. Now start your cycle. Even using established live rock you may see your levels rise. Your cleanup crew won't add much to your bio load, your fish will. Are you using RO/DI water? Are you going for reef or FOWLR? Best of luck on your new system!

I'm using tap water with conditioner. Sorry I'm not sure what the abbreviation are, I'm guessing it is fish only with live rock. I'm starting with well established live rock and then with clean up crew and in the near future hardy fish. Eventually I would love to add some coral, anemone and things but from what I have read I will need to upgrade my light.

RO/DI stands for reverse ozmosis de-ironized. It'sa filter you connect to your tap to mix salt water. It takes all the impurities out of tap water. Regular tap water will cause algae blooms because its total dissolved solid count is too high. There's a part on the site that has a lot of the abbreviations used here, so if you're ever lost on something check that out.

Rock, sand then water. This will guarentee that the rock is stable. I used a Tupperware container level on the sand, put a container full of water higher than the tank on a ladder and used tubing to start a siphon. Placed the other side of the tube in the container so it would not directly hit the sand and stir it up. Continued to add water to the container to keep the siphon going until tank was full.

Thanks. Ok so my rock and sand are in but my salinity is at 1.018 how much salt do I need to add to bring this up to a good level? My tank is right full do I will need to draw some water out mix it in that and put it back in. I am using instant ocean reef mix

draw out some water in a jug or something and add a cup of salt. Let it desolve as much as possible and add it back. Wait a few hours and test your salinity to see how much it raised and you can add more if needed.

Ok my tank is only 36G but I have a 60 G canister filter which outputs 158G an hour plus 1 power head at 425g per hour. Is this enough flow and were should I place the power head?

in my opinion you should stop what you're doing. If you plan on corals and even an anemone then dump the tap water and start over. Please do more research before continuing. Starting with tap water you are setting yourself up for failure. You need rodi water to start with which you should be able to purchase from a lfs.

in my opinion you should stop what you're doing. If you plan on corals and even an anemone then dump the tap water and start over. Please do more research before continuing. Starting with tap water you are setting yourself up for failure. You need rodi water to start with which you should be able to purchase from a lfs.

+1 To Dav3

DO NOT Start off a tank with tap water and conditioner. Tap water contains too many nutrients ( stuff you want to be as low as possible always 0 if possible), plus phosphates. These things will cause you problems, like hair algae, cloudy water, etc... and your cleanup crew just can't keep up. Especially if these bad pollutants are in the tank and you continually add them with tap water top offs and water changes.

To avoid as many problems as possible do it right the 1st time and just use (and only use), RO/DI = Reverse Osmosis-De-Ionized water. Most of the time, you can get it from your LFS (Local Fish Shop), they also should carry premixed salt water using their own RO/DI filtered water. If you buy their salt water, make sure to get some plain RO/DI water from them for topping off your tank from evaporation.

The other alternative is distilled water. Grocery stores and pharmacies carry this but it's a lot more expensive than buying it from a LFS. But it's the only alternative (IMO) if your not able to get RO/DI water.

Back
Top Bottom