Cost difference between reef tank and non-reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adam83

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm deciding whether or not I really want to restart my reef tank or just set it up as a FOwLR. My tank is about 50gallons.

My real question is what would the cost difference be between setting up a reef tank and FOWLR. I've only had reef tanks in the past so I don't know what FOWLR would entail.

What are the major differences in terms of equipment and cost?

Thanks in advance.

the cost difference is alot. less lighting less waterchanges, no need to dose calcium

the lights alone will save you $100-500 (depending which way you go) and your electricity bill won't be near as high. rather then a weekly waterchange you would probably be able to get away with a bi weekly waterchange, i've known peopel to go even with a monthly one, but i'd advise against that.

do you still have your equipment for the last time you had a reef? and when was that, because if you had a decent light fixture and are only changing bulbs, the cost difference is going to be pretty minimal.

I guess what should be asked is what equipment do you currently have with your 50gal?

i have 96 watt ultra actinic lights i never used - pretty much everything else i think i'm going to have to replace.

so its on;t a single power compact?

excuse my ignorance - what do you mean?

The tank's lid has a reflective mount that is able to hold 2 of the 96 watt ultra actinic tubes.

It is two long tubes that are attached to each other and connect to a 4 pronged electric strip.

Like said above.... Fish only requires basically water changes. Much like fw. Light is minimal and no dosing. A lot less cost. Aside from all the awesome fish you can get. Also, fake coral has come a long way.

Unless you have a crazy amount of sps pwcs will replenish calcium. The big difference is light. The op has those, altjough appear to be less than desireable for sps and clams, should be gtg for leathers, zoas and most lps

so with my lighting setup what type of reef should I be setting up?

You can't really support anything under that lighting. I would upgrade to a 4 bulb t5 Ho fixture for soft corals and a 6 bulb for Lps and sps corals along with nems and clams. Look at the nova extreme fixtures. They are very good and a pretty good price.

many people raise softies just fine under pc bulbs, they are not the best fixtures out there, but they are useable. This forum is becoming like an lfs, buy the best here... ocme on guys.
LPS Corals for your Saltwater Reef Aquarium - Aquatic Connection
right in their store description it says they use pc bulbs for low light lps. also for the op they have many labelled with lighting requirements.
mushrooms are all pretty low light corals, and of course there's nps which can be pretty cool too. oh and I nearly forgot zoa's which are my personal fav.

I was trying to remember what corals I had before that I had no problem with - thanks for your help kurtyboh

im not trying to sell anything here.if you read my post i said i was suggesting. ie what i think would be the best type of light for most corals. why would you get a fixture that you can only keep corals mid to upper part of the tank? power compacts are becoming outdated in today's terms. they just dont put out enough light over all. personaly i would get a 4 bulb fixture if i wanted to keep soft corals all over and some lps up by the top. for sps clams and nems i would go with a 6 bulb fixture. i go with the nova extrema fixtures merely because they are pretty cheep, well designed, each individually reflected, ho, cooling fans, two power cords for day and dusk lighting. they are just an over all great fixture. you can also look at some tek fixtures.

The problem I had when I originally purchased lighting is that the tank is narrow. i.e.: there isn't too much room for lighting. If I wanted to replace my current lighting what would be the best option given the limited space of my tank's dimensions?

What are the dimensions of the tank? This will help in determining the best lights for you. Also what is your budged? And are you looking into keeping more things down the line such as Lps and Sps corals?

The tank is a hexagon but the dimensions are roughly:
27" height
18" depth
48" width

I don't really have a fixed budget. I don't want to go crazy spending though. The cost/benefit analysis would determine which option I would choose. what do you recommend given this?

Back
Top Bottom