cost of a salt water tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm yes. :D With corals I think what most people forget is that they grow quickly when they are happy. Even SPS. Hope you have a frag tank. :D You'll make some cash if you have good levels in a healthy tank cause that's when the corals take off. woosh. ;)

im still brain storming what i want to do. i dont think ill be making money off frags but a frag tank is in my plans. i plan to join the dallas reef club and do some frag swaps in the future.

im thought about a nano, and ive thought about a large tank. now im thinking maybe 2 29g tanks/tv stand/book shelf for my bed room. have a sump system under the stand. have a 2 29g on top with a tv in the middle. with a book shelf on top. a cabnit on the left side for supplys and the right side be open with a frag tank20g and 2 qt tanks 10g. pipe everything but the qt together. maybe do softies and mushrooms in one tank and a clam and sps in the other. clown/goby-shrimp combo/and 2 firefish in one and figure out what to put in the other.

That sounds great! Remember that salt spray and electronics dont mix. So be careful with items like TV's and Stereo equip. We all try to be very careful with out water changes and things like that, but we end up with a small spill here and there. :)

if i do my changes under the stand i should be able to avoid major spills around electronics. and if i partition off the tanks from the tv i shouldnt have a problem.

Also no mater how much you try you will get water on the floor. I have wood floors so every time I do anything with my 110g or 29g BC I always have a beach towel on the floor.

When my wife first said she wanted a tank, we looked at a 46g bowfront... After visiting the LFS, she decided she wanted a 120g... So, we purchased the tank, a stand, and a matching canopy to go with it.

I researched lights (LED) for a couple months and ended up buying a set at around $1700...

Spent more time researching products and reading reviews - in fact I have a Word document that is nothing more than a list of products I'm purchasing, a price, and the website I found it cheapest at.

So, here it is, nearly 5 months later, and I haven't put the first drop of water in the tank yet... I've still got another roughly $1200 to spend before I can put water in the tank and begin spending more cash to stock it...

That will bring my total spent to get the tank up to about $5k for a 125g with a 40g DIY sump... and remember - no stock in the tank for that cost.

So, when it comes down to the monthly cost... It's only money right? :grin:

If you're talking a 200g tank with a 100g sump - I'd think that ~$150 - $200 is a reasonable cost - that's an average that includes food, elec, water, other misc equipment.

Back
Top Bottom