Couple of basic questions from a newbie...(Added Pic)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CrossRamZ11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

Great Forum, Yes, I am a newbie, I have my first FO tank, cycling since May 26th. Here are some of the specs:

55 Gal. FO
1 40w 48" 10K bulb
60lbs of dead coral (was removed from live tank by LFS the day or 2 before, still damp)
Fluval 404 Filter
Zoomed Sweeping PH I have excellent flow throughout the tank
1 small airstone
I have a CC substrate
PH is at 8.0
I apologize for not having the Ammonia and Nitrite with me, I have a short term memory problem right now, but I think the Ammonia is around .25-.or so for the last week...I have been testing every night.
Sal is at 1.022
Tank is constant 79deg
I included a large cup full of CC and one piece of dead coral from my neighbors established tank.

I have 2 2-striped damsels, and 1 fiji damsel in the tank now, all are doing very good, very healthy and eating well

My question is, I am starting to see some algea growth on coral that is closer to the top of the tank, kind of a reddish-brown, on about 3 pieces, including the one from the neighbors tank. Also, the CC substrate is starting to get some darkening on the top.

I have read that you can expect an algae bloom when the tank is finished cycling, but I know less than 2 weeks is too short to be complete by now...I have tried to do everything by the book. Is this something I should be worried about, or an indication that something is amiss in the tank?

I am hoping someone can give me some insight. I now wish I would have went with the DSB, and a few pieces of LR...Would that help if I added them now? Even placing 10 pounds of live sand on top of the CC? I am afraid I will ruin the cycle?

I am open to any and all advice, be it critical or not, it is the only way to learn.

Thanks in advance for your guidance and advice...Please be gentle :)

Hmm, I have NO clue what in the world you mean by dead coral, I thought LR, but you say you dont have any. I recomend the LR and a DSB, but since the CC is in, I would throw a little LR on top just for filtration. Please give me some more info on this dead coral.

Oops!

Sorry I wasn't more descriptive....It is Marshall Island LR, but was removed from water by the LFS ( I guess that is why they call it dead) and place in some bins...I called it Dead Coral instead of Dead Rock...Sorry for the confusion.

Dead coral? I thought LR was pieces of dead coral, but now you have me second guessing. I believe the algae growth you are observing is diatoms which are normal for a cycling tank. One thing about teh damsels... if you intend to keep mild mannered fish, get the damsels out now... They become a problem

During cycling you'll develop a ton of brown algae which will cover just about everything. When your tank is done cycling that algae will go away for the most part.

Ok, I understand what you mean now. I think you are fine and the algae is normal. Got a picture of you tank? I agree with pretty about the damsels, I would get them out.

Thank you for the prompt replies and for the interest in my tank...I really appreciate the advice..

One more question...If I remove the damsels, should I replace while still cycling with something else? or, based on the presence of the diatoms, is the process now begun and will continue without any fish?

Thanks again.

I will have to get my pics hosted and then posted.

If I remove the damsels, should I replace while still cycling with something else?

You could throw in a few cocktail shrimp to be safe. This way the cycle would continue and you would not have to put any fish through the stress of ammonia and nitrite. This is a new and accepted way of cycling a tank without fish.

Sal is at 1.022
Salinity could be slightly higher, closer to accual sea water which is 1.024 to 1.026. However in a FO your salinity will work.
Tank is constant 79deg

The part about it being constant is great. However you might want to bump it up to 82, this is a slight preventative to marine ich.
I have read that you can expect an algae bloom when the tank is finished cycling, but I know less than 2 weeks is too short to be complete by now...
Brown diatoms will be present DURING the cycle, not after, and they are perfectly normal and will go away when the cycle is complete.
I am hoping someone can give me some insight. I now wish I would have went with the DSB, and a few pieces of LR...Would that help if I added them now? Even placing 10 pounds of live sand on top of the CC? I am afraid I will ruin the cycle?

First off, You will probably want to pull the CC all together and just start a DSB. This will save you much head ache in the long run. Will it ruin the cycle? No, it may slow it some but it is worth it. Since you are in your cycle you can add more LR. In fact, the more the better. Try to achieve 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per gallon, as this is the idea amount. I would run a search on DSB and read as much as you can. Also if you look on the left side of the home page you will see a articles section. Read through it, the info there is priceless.

Good Luck. :D

Everything Micheal just said sums up what you need to do over the next week, read, read, replace CC with DSB, and then read. You are off to a great start BTW.

Thanks for the encouragement...I am going to the DSB this weekend...and the Damsels will soon be "store credit" :)

Here is the picture of the tank I took tonight...You can see the brown "algae" I was referring too at the top. I hope you like it, I think it came out OK for my first attempt. I got the rock for $1.00 a pound..

Fishtank.JPG

Thanks alot for all your help.. :D

you are looking at diatoms. almost every tank going through the beginning of the complete cycling have these. It shows you are in the right path. they will eventually go away but not completely 100 percent.

I have 2 2-striped damsels, and 1 fiji damsel in the tank now, all are doing very good, very healthy and eating well

My question is, I am starting to see some algea growth on coral that is closer to the top of the tank, kind of a reddish-brown, on about 3 pieces, including the one from the neighbors tank. Also, the CC substrate is starting to get some darkening on the top.

what else is in the tank? snails, crabs? i would definately have some sort of algae control. I also am in agreeance about ditching the damsels, I got rid of my 3 starter damsels as soon as I could, and am really happy about doing it.

No, no algae control yet, and as discussed above, what I originally thought was an algae bloom was simply Diatoms. Does anone have a suggestion of what would be good cleaners in a FO tank? With CC substrate? or with a DSB? Would they be the similar?

Thanks in advance!

I got a lot of red legged hermits and Astrae snails... The red legs are really good with diatoms and other algae and the snails clean the sides...

I have a 90 gallon so I aim for about 25 hermits and 30 snails... In my opinion you need more snails... but.. I leave the algae on the back of my tank alone and clean the front and sides only... They eat from everywhere and the red legs leave each other and the snails alone.

Thanks!

Well, based on your advice, I went and purchased 100# of southdown sand, and another 20# of Live Arogonite Reef Sand to seed the DSB with. I now have about 4-5" DSB and I couldn't be happier. It is so much of a visual improvement over the CC (which was a PITA to get all out!) I am very happy. I am going to keep the Damsels until the tank is finished cycling, then turn them in on some more passive inhabitants. I talked to LFS and they will take them for credit. I cannot wait for the water to completely clear up so I can enjoy the new substrate.

My next question turns to the cleaner crew, I would like some more suggestion on what the best crew to start with would be, and whether or not I should introduce them into the tank before the cycle is complete....as always, thanks!

What are the water parameters at this time?

I'd say get rid of the damsels now, because you WILL have to break down the tank to get them and it will mess up your aquascaping. You don't need damsels to cycle the tank... you can use raw shrimp from the seafood section... Just some friendly advice...

Post some pics if you can

Thank you for the welcome!! I have learned alot reading past posts and articles so far. One thing I now realize is the bagged "reef sand" really doesn't supply any critters, just bacteria. I am going to the LFS today to get about 5 pounds of real LIVE SAND, hopefully with a large variety of DSB fauna. Do you think 5# will be enough to seed the DSB?

Water parameters are:

PH 8.0
Nitrite .15
Ammonia around .25-.35
Temp - Constant 79deg
Nitrate - 0
1.021 Salinity

I also read that seeding the DSB will eventually result in my dead rock becoming live again...This is true? Excellent!

As for cleaners...I prefer mainly hermits and snails. When the water is right, add some hermites (scarlet and/or blue-leg) and snails (cerith, and/or astrea, and/or turbos). When you add your fish, I would add a serpent star as well. He will take care of left over food that will become a nitrate problem if left alone. You might look for a good "cleaner" package from some OLFS or your LFS.

Back
Top Bottom