CPR Aquafuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tripper

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to let you know about my newest addition to my tank. I ordered the CPR Aquafuge, along with a few other goodies, from Marine Depot. I set up the fuge last night and am very impressed with it. It is very well made and looks very sturdy. I got the largest model and have it hanging on the back of my tank. So far I have just added sand to it and have it flowing. This adds about 4 gallons of water to my system which isn't a ton on a 72G, but it helps. I plan to add some chaeto to it soon to start getting my nitrates down even more. Right now they are just under 20ppm.

My question is, I have the a Coralife MH hood over my tank. Will the light from this be enough for the fuge? It seems that the fuge would get a healthy does of the actinic light, but very little of the MH. I don't believe chaeto needs that much light though, correct? Any advice would be appreciated.

tripper

...all the fuges that I've seen online in pictures seem to have a small light above them. but in truth, i don't really know if it is necessary. i would though.

I am thinking about an Aquafuge...but I don't know anyone who has one. I would like the large one also for my 40 gallon breeder...but it is up against and wall...and not movable. How much space is needed between the tank and a wall to be able to fit an aquafuge between them?

Thanks

WC

I have the 12" aquafuge. I would suppliment it with another light (I have the jalli 13watt PC that is made for the aqua fuge) unless you run your MH for 12+ hours. Mine is set for 10 hours and the fuge light is on for 12 ( the same cycle as my actinics) and it is doing very well. The chaeto is growing like crazy and my nitrates have been at 0 ppm ever since.

White cloud: I think all of the aqua fuges are the same depth, they are just different lengths. they are 4" deep

I also have the small aquafuge. I covered it with eggcrate and placed a Coralife 2x9w CF hood on it. Chaeto growing well.

WC, you need a 5" clearance from the tank to the wall to fit the aquafuge.

Tripper, I would get the Jalli light for the hob fuge. When you do add some type of macro, keeping the lights on overnite ( when your daylights are off) will help to keep the oxygen levels in check. I find that it is common for hobbyists to leave the fuge light on 24/7 , but having them on opposite to your daylights should be fine.
IMO, go for a light dedicated to a fuge. That way you know for sure that your fuge is getting enough light. HTH

All,

Thanks for all your suggestions. Looks like i'll be spending some more money on my tank!! (Surprise, surprise)

I got some chaeto from a guy on ebay and it was shipped 2-day without any heat packs. When I got it the bag was quite cold so i just put the chaeto in the fuge immediately. Is this stuff pretty hardy or is it doomed already? It looked nice and green but I can't really tell if it's in good shape or not. TIA

tripper

I got chaeto in the mail, just USPS priorty mail from the west coast, and I"m in Nebraska. It wasn't this cold out, but it survived. Pretty hardy stuff. Even the bits that had gone soft and mushy have eventually come back to full health.

Back
Top Bottom