crabs snails and shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester

Aquarium Advice Freak
do crabs snails and shrimp count for anything in inches for fish compacity for a tank thanks guys

None whatsover. The only concern will be for larger growing decorative shrimp that can get quite large like coral banded shrimp. They also do not tolerate other shrimp species well. Mobile inverts do not really detract from available fish space though.

Cheers
Steve

thanks alot so i was thinking of getting 2 coral banndeds if i do i cant get any other shrimp correct?

jester said:
thanks alot so i was thinking of getting 2 coral banndeds
Unless the tank is quite large I would not suggest that. CB's are not even tolerant of each other unless mated and getting a pair can be very exspensive. I would instead suggest just one.

if i do i cant get any other shrimp correct?
Not really. It depends on the set up of the tank. Providing the other shrimp added have ample places to hide and the CB has sufficient territory to claim there really shouldn't be to many issues. I have a peppermint with a CB in a 27 and although the CB chases it off when the pepp comes too close, the CB is much too slow to catch the other shrimp.

Cheers
Steve

thanks i will go with one i have a 60g with plenty of hidding spots i really kije the cb he is cool

Actually, shrimp like the CB crank out a lot of ammonia for their size, but ammonia is also the easiest waste product to get absorbed via nitrogen cycle.

I also consider the CB to be the best looking of the bunch, but they are the most aggresive. I have one about 3" long that has caught two pretty good size cleaner shrimp just a bit smaller, and ate both. This is with a 55gallon with plenty of rock. He also catches bristle worms on occasion and has shredded the tail on my maroon clown a few times. My CB ignores my hermits, and gets kicked in the face when he messes with my sally lightfoot.

If it weren't for his feelers almost a foot across and security guard like attitude I'd trade him in for a couple of cleaners or fire shrimp in a heartbeat. The cleaners are far more beneficial if you have large fish like angels or butterflies in the same tank. One shop in town has a large CB with a body about 5" across, and he will catch larger fish.

wowee, that is a big CB!!!

Mine just molted again and is hiding while he hardens up. Now his antennae are about a foot across.

I have 35-40 red leg hermits in with him in a 55SW and they all get along.

Back
Top Bottom