crazy skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kribbz

Aquarium Advice FINatic
the other day i used some Red Slime Remover in my tank because i had the stuff growing in my sump and there is no way to increase flow or add more lights underneath my tank. so i borrowed some of this stuff from a friend and used it on the tank and now my skimmer is going crazy. it is skimming clear water out. so i tried cleaning out the skimmer really well and tommorrow i am going to do like a 20% water change. do you think that that will cure this problem. or does anyone else have any ideas?

Its the slime remover thats making it do that. I would suggest to turn the skimmer off and wait till the slime is gone. or find another way to remove the slime.

yeah i used the remover like a week ago and i keep turning the skimmer on each day to see if it is still in the water and each day it does the same thing. so that is why i think i'm going to try a water change to see if i can't take most of it out of the water.

I used the Red Slime remover and skimmed and I didn't get much at all. I did see an increase but, I started skimming lond before I used the Red Slime remover. Cleaning the skimmer completely is going to cause it to work harder also. It is the slime buildup on the inside that causes the skimmer to work properly.

Red Slime remover is a wonderful product and I didn't use the recommended amount for fear that since it is an antibiotic, I didn't want to hurt the LR and Inverts. I know it says it won' thurt them but, for all intensive purposes, I should not have had to use it in the first place.. I did, and all of the Red Slime is gone and I used half the dose. It was quick too. :D

Good luck on finding the skimming solution..

Red Slime remover is an antibiotic and is only treating the symptoms rather than the cause. It is also adding to the cause. Once the antibiotic is inactive, the materials used to make it are nutrients for more algae. Cyanobacteria is caused by excess nutrients and poor water flow, increasing nutrient export and decreasing nutrient import, as well as, increasing flow to the effected areas will clear it up in time.

I totally agree. The only reason I did it, is it took hold strong partly because of the new lighting which is much stronger than what I had. I do not plan to use it on a regular basis as I know that if the tank is right, none of that ugly stuff would be there.

Back
Top Bottom