CUC Size Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Etcool

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So today while looking for my future CUC I saw a cleanup crew package on live aquaria.com.

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=420+2791+1766&pcatid=1766

I was looking at the 30 Gallon deluxe package and could not believe the amount of living things that come for a 30 gallon...

I was looking at this for my JBJ 28G Nano Cube because I thought it was an amazing price for the 85 living things u gets with it, even with shipping added on.

So my main question is for a tank around 30 gallons should u really have 40 hermits, 40 snails, 3 peppermint shrimp, and 2 emerald crabs for a good CUC? I was planning on getting no where near that many hermits and snails but let me know what you guys think. Thanks for your time and thoughts.

i dont know the answer so wait for someone else to comment but i think the answer might be yes and no. yes that might be what you end up with but no not all right away.i think that would be for a fully bio loaded 30 gallon tank. when your tank is new it cant support that type of cuc. you have to build your cuc to the needs of your tank and a newer tank has less needs. as your tank matures and things are added then your cuc grows with it.

You don't need that many hermit crabs for sure. I would limit hermits to around 4 or 5 and get more snails if need be. even the peppermint shrimp are to many,I've never had emerald crabs so I don't know about them.

My tank cycled not that long ago, and I have a 29G BioCube, I got 3 snails and a hermit crab at first, then added a snail or hermit crab each week as needed. I do have an emerald crab that hides most of the day, but when he comes out he is fun to watch. poor guy didn't have any front claws, but i bought him anyway. so he pushes his face into the sand and starts munching. I suggest with a smaller tank you avoid turbo snails. I got one right away, and a big one. I ended up bringing him back to the pet store. He was always knocking things over or even pulling smaller items out of the sand.... don't get me wrong he did his job really well, just not worth the hassle.

A sea hare is about the only thing that actually will eat HA, BUT you need to find it another home before it starves or you risk nking your tank when it dies. Mexican turbo snails and a lawnmower blenny are also good choices. The turbo snails grow big and knock over everything. The saiilfin can also starve, or jump out of the tank.
Blue legged hermits may work when young and hungry, but ha is not their main diet.
My FoxFace never touched it.

My thinking is that you should go smaller because there wont be that much in a new tank for them to scavange. As your tank matures then add to your CUC. As far as Hair algea I suggest you find the fuel source and eliminate. I try not to suggest Livestock as an alternative.

Ok thanks for the help, so I don’t need that many right away.

Do you guys think that Nassarius Snails or Cerith Snails would be needed in a tank that only has a 1 1/2 inch sand bed? I read that they like a deep sand beds, so would they be needed or can they live in that deep of sand bed?

Apparently they destroy hair algae.
Thanks Mitchell, I did some reading on emeral crabs and turbo snail and they do eat HA. Only problem is that onces the HA gets long they tend not to eat it as much. So I guess, against my better judgement you would have to pull most of it out by hand and risk spreading it.

Back
Top Bottom