Culligan water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would water from the culligan store be ok to start my saltwater tank?
And can i use the old sump from a freshwater setup?
I know RODI is best but can't afford one right now.
I plan on setting up the tank with live sand and pluming with snails and crabs. Then leave it for 30 days before any fish are put in.
I also have some old live rock which i would like to clean and put in the tank.

It would probably be fine. You can ask them for some basic info, like what is the TDS of their water, and how is it filtered? Most likely it will be better than using tap water.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I can now go ahead with my tank. And i will only have live sand in the tank for 30 days. No fish or inverts.

Distilled water would by definition be much higher purity than RO water. Distilled water is 0 TDS.

Distilled water would by definition be much higher purity than RO water. Distilled water is 0 TDS.

i would guess depending on its distilation proccess, and how many times it was distilled. it in some ways could still pick up contaminants from the atmosphere before it condensates and flows into the storage tank. it would also come down to the cleanlyness of the holding tank and the containers placed in, but yeah medical grade distilled would be of higher purity but i don't think store bought bottled would be as pure

Store bought distilled water still checks at 0 TDS with a hobby grade meter. RO water will usually be 10-30 ppm depending on the quality of the membrane, the water flowing in, and the pressure of the system. That's why most of us use a DI stage in conjunction with an RO membrane - to get to 0 TDS.

Store bought distilled water still checks at 0 TDS with a hobby grade meter. RO water will usually be 10-30 ppm depending on the quality of the membrane, the water flowing in, and the pressure of the system. That's why most of us use a DI stage in conjunction with an RO membrane - to get to 0 TDS.
thats why i use it also
it became to much of a hassle to constantly go to the store to get distilled jugs and return them, i have 5 sitting in my garage from 2 years ago lol
6 Stage 100GPD 0PPM RODI Reef Marine Aquarium Hydroponics Reverse Osmosis System

good price unit for all those lookign to buy one, they also have some with holding tanks and a Carbon filter and DI filter after the holding tank in case there are still impurities

Back
Top Bottom